Windows desktop update from 6.5.401d to 6.6.439

jason2
jason2
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello, I am trying to upgrade my Windows desktop (Windows 7) 1Password application from 6.5.401d to 6.6.439. When running the update from within the app it downloads then I get a message "1Password for windows desktop has stopped working". I have also running 1Password as local administrator and doing the update and get the same message.

When looking at Event Viewer under Windows Logs and then Application - I see this entry:
Faulting application name: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe, version: 6.5.401.0, time stamp: 0x58e55d10
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23807, time stamp: 0x5915fe14
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000001a06d
Faulting process id: 0xad8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d306e30eeb1d75
Faulting application path: D:\1Password\app\6\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 16605d85-72d7-11e7-aab7-001cc0f0de94

And then it is followed by this entry:
Access to C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp42F4.exe has been restricted by your Administrator by location with policy rule {05a5b508-4625-48a0-a08f-425810c1c902} placed on path C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local**.exe.

It appears there is a group policy that is preventing the running of applications out of the user profile. Is there any way to run the update outside of this folder?

Thanks for your help!
Jason

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jason2
    jason2
    Community Member

I solved the issue - I found the tmp42f4.exe file and copied it out to another folder and ran it from there. Love the look of the update! Looks great on Windows 7!

• Hi @Jason2,

Thanks for writing in.

Eh, there really isn't a way to install 1Password without using the local temporary folder, we need to extract the files out before installing it. In addition, that would also mean you can't install any programs that does the same.

If you can't get your IT department to remove that very restrictive group policy, then what you can do is install 1Password on a separate machine where you have full permissions and copy over the app folder from that machine to the same directory on your computer, overwriting it.

You can find the app folder here: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\%. Copy it over to your work machine into the same folder and then run this command in the run dialog (Winkey + R): %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\6\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe /setup to complete the setup.

• jason2
    jason2
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Thanks for the update Mike. I will give that a go next time there is an update.

• You're welcome and that shouldn't be a long wait, we're in process of shipping 6.7 soon.

This discussion has been closed.