Upgraded to latest 1Password versions - garbled data after sync! (Mac, iPhone, iPad)

dmorgen2
dmorgen2
Community Member

I'm running licensed versions of 1Password, syncing using Dropbox. I upgraded all my versions in the following order:

MAC: 6.3.5 to 6.8
iPhone: 6.4.5 to 6.8
iPad: 6.4.5 to 6.8

MAC & iPhone seemed to go quickly & easily, didn't have to specify that I use Dropbox sync, etc.

But iPad app was more involved. The App Store would not upgrade the app; it acted as if they were the same version, though the store showed the current as 6.8 & iPad showed 6.4.5. So I deleted the app on iPad, then re-downloaded it. I had to specify my Dropbox info to 1P. It took a long time for 1P to download all my data, but at first glance it seemed to work.

However, when I looked at a card entry with many fields & groups. The fields were out of order & when I chose EDIT, there were a lot of empty fields in addition to the correct fields (but many or all of the fields had reasonable names, so they might have been used in the past, then changed or deleted). At least 1 text field was treated as a password (Hide/Reveal, etc.). On the MAC, it worked as text, but in EDIT it the field type was set to Password!. I corrected back to text on the MAC & synced MAC & iPad. iPad still showed the field as Password, & MAC had the field changed back to Password, but treated it as text again; both devices showed an older modification date for the entry! I looked at the iPhone 1P; the field acted like a password, as on iPad.

Any idea what's going on here & how to correct? There could be many more problems, but I haven't taken a rigorous look. BTW, I don't know if I actually had the text field on the MAC already set to password, since it acted as text. IAE, after I changed the type to text, the sync set it back to password.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5, IPAD 10.3.2, IPHONE 10.3.1 (?)
Sync Type: DROPBOX

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2017

Hi Dave! I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. It sounds as though you've got some sync issues going on... I'd recommend taking a look at this guide:

If you're having trouble syncing with Dropbox - 1Password Support

Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

ref: ZLL-36238-513

• dmorgen2
    dmorgen2
    Community Member

Hi Ben. I just spent 2-3 hours with this. I couldn't figure out how to get the Dropbox folder address from iPhone & iPad. Also, there's some mention of making sure the Vault is set right; not sure how to do that either, but I've always stuck with the original Vault.

I setup some tests. The 3 devices seem to sync with each other just fine (not including possible corruption of the data). So presumably they all use the same Dropbox folder.

I duplicated the item that was giving the most trouble when synced. At first I thought the new duplicate now syncs ok. But after awhile I'm not so sure. It seems better than the original item where I noticed all the problems, but it's not perfect. So I've gone through the troubleshooting document until the point where it says to reset data. I'm not going to try that until I'm totally awake & have plenty of time!

BTW, there is a Selective Sync Conflict folder for 1Password, but it's empty. There are non-empty Conflict folders for a few other folders, but I've had some for awhile. Could this be causing any problems, especially since it's empty?
    Are any other 1P sync methods more reliable than Dropbox sync?

Dave

• Dave,

Thanks for the update!

I'm not going to try that until I'm totally awake & have plenty of time!

That sounds like a solid plan! My motto is to never make any changes after midnight. ;)

BTW, there is a Selective Sync Conflict folder for 1Password, but it's empty. There are non-empty Conflict folders for a few other folders, but I've had some for awhile. Could this be causing any problems, especially since it's empty?

That sounds like a remnant to be honest. I doubt it has any significance.

I duplicated the item that was giving the most trouble when synced.

Have you tried deleting and re-creating this item?

Are any other 1P sync methods more reliable than Dropbox sync?

Yes, absolutely. 1Password membership is the best way to use 1Password, and it includes secure automatic 1st party sync:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Dropbox is a bit of a black box, as we only control one half of the equation. With 1Password membership we control both halves, and so troubleshooting any issues that may occur is a much more realistic thing to do. :)

Ben

• dmorgen2
    dmorgen2
    Community Member

Ben,

I haven't tried deleting & re-creating the item.

How would I go about converting to 1P Membership, especially considering the poor state of my iPad & iPhone data? Presumably eliminate iPad & iPhone, convert, then add back the 2 devices?

If it makes sense to end up with 1P Membership, I might as well do that before wasting any more time fiddling with Dropbox sync.

Dave

• Dave,

We still need to get one good set of data that we can migrate into a 1Password membership for you, but I do think it makes sense to go in that direction.

I'll send you an email. I think it'll be easier to continue this conversation that way. Please let me know if you don't see the message soon.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: VVD-24578-635

This discussion has been closed.