Beta for Android O and autofill?

digitalfiz
digitalfiz
Community Member

So you guys blogged about some new stuff being worked on for Android O. Any timeframe on when us beta testers will get our hands on it now that Android O is in public beta?

https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/03/24/hey-oh-android-o/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• digitalfiz
    digitalfiz
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

Nevermind I found someone else post about it after submitting this.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/76940/new-autofill-api-on-android-o#latest

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No worries. We're working on things behind the scenes for now, and hopefully we'll have more to share in the future. :)

• nesl247
    nesl247
    Community Member

Now that the APIs are final with beta 3, can we finally expect the feature to hit the Play Store?

• digitalfiz
    digitalfiz
    Community Member

Blast! Someone beat me too it :P waits excitedly and impatiently

• Sorry, @nesl247 and @digitalfiz. I don't have any news at the moment, but we'll let you know when we do have something exciting to share!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I just wanted to let you all know that we've added preliminary support for Google's new Android O filling APIs in the latest beta. So hopefully it won't be far off that everyone gets it once we're finished testing everything. And you're welcome to join the beta too if you like. Cheers! :)

• digitalfiz
    digitalfiz
    Community Member

I have beta-2 would this one be beta-3? No updates in the play store as of yet. gets super excited

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

@digitalfiz: Sorry. I got a little too excited and got you a little too excited. We've laid the groundwork starting with the first 6.6 beta, but it's just the beginning. There are a few things involved here:

1. [Good] Accessibility frameworks (old): Old school filling method we depend on today. Doesn't require any work on the part of 3rd party app developers or platform/device vendors. Supported with Android 4.1 or newer.
    2. [Better] Android Autofill feature (new): Uses Google's frameworks for filling. Better suited for automatic password filling than accessibility frameworks. We're currently working on getting this ready for beta. Supported with Android 8 (O).1
    3. [Best] OpenYOLO (new): Similar to iOS extensions, 1Password for Android supports this feature so it can interact directly with 3rd party apps which support the OpenYOLO APIs. Since it requires 3rd party apps to support it before it will be useful to you, we've laid the groundwork in this beta so that we are ready. Works on Android 4.1 or newer.

So, OpenYOLO is the ideal. If everyone adopts it, then you'll never need to use either Accessibility (1) or Autofill (2). But those are good fallbacks where OpenYOLO support is missing from apps. So while there's plenty to be excited about, it will be even more exciting once third-party apps start shipping with support built-in. :)

This discussion has been closed.