cappy
Community Member
edited July 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

This link
https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

refers to deleting the primary vault.
This doesn't make sense to me.

Isn't this where all of the passwords are stored?

1Password Version: 6.6.4.39d
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit
Sync Type: ??

Comments

• Hi @cappy,

Thanks for writing in.

There are two different types of 1Password vaults; the local standalone vaults you manually manage and the 1Password.com service that stores and manages all of your 1Password data for you.

1. The primary vault is referring to the first standalone local vault you created within 1Password
    2. When you migrate your data to 1Password.com, it has its own database that stores all of your vaults. They are not related to the standalone vaults.
    3. As you've already moved all of your 1Password data to 1Password.com, there is no need to keep the standalone vault anymore if you wishes to stick with 1Password.com, so you can remove it if you want. 1Password will not do this for you automatically.
  • cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

I'm not so sure that's a good idea, now that UI think about it.
    What happens if I can't get to the website, due to a bad upstream router, a dead DNS server, a DOS attach or
    a multitude of other issuess. I won't have access to my passwords,and I woll be locked out

• Hi @cappy,

1Password will download and keep a local copy of your 1Password.com data on the drive, it will work fine without being connected to the Internet. You will not be locked out.

The difference is that you don’t have to manually sync your local vaults with other computers, mobile devices and other users. 1Password takes care of that for you while you just sign in to your 1Password account and all data is downloaded locally first before you can use it. As soon as you make a change, 1Password will store it into your 1Password account on our servers, so other 1Password apps are updated in near real-time.

You can read more about the benefits of 1Password.com membership here: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

This discussion has been closed.