New AutoFill API on Android O

fcar
fcar
Community Member

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/21/android-o-feature-spotlight-official-autofill-api-will-save-typing-thing/

AgileBits, LISTEN!

You HAVE TO implement this. You have plenty of time! This is for Q3 2017. Seriously.

No excuses!

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fcar: No comment. :tongue:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

I do hope someone is thinking about the security ramifications of these new features?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: I think there's an interesting difference between software development at a company making security products as opposed to others: We worry about making something that works only after we're able to make it secure, whereas traditionally coders were excited just to have the thing work. I think that's changing though (at least I hope so) as security touches nearly everything now thanks to the internet. But the history is fascinating. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fcar: Definitely check out today's (yesterday's now?) blog post if you haven't already. Sorry I had to dodge your question a few days ago, but I didn't want to be the guy who ruined the surprise. ;)

I don't believe that there's a facility for saving, "only" filling, but since this is new to me as well I'll double check with the team to make sure I didn't miss something. Cheers! :)

• @fcar Brenty asked me to jump in here and provide some more clarification based on what I've learned about the Android O Autofill Framework so far. I'm happy to say that in addition to enabling automatic form-filling, it also provides facilities for saving details that have been manually entered into forms. For the blog post, I focused on the filling aspect of the Autofill Framework, but the saving side of things is equally compelling and something that we're definitely very interested in. ;)

• Hahah, @fcar. I'm losing my mind, too! I can't wait for this new way to fill on Android. :lol:! Thanks so much for your support over the years and for the kind words! `

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

Looking forward to the first beta with this feature since the second preview of O is out now :) ETA?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No ETA and nothing to announce yet, especially since it's a developer preview and we've had as much time with it as you have. ;)

• digitalfiz
    digitalfiz
    Community Member

@brenty Android O is now public beta... what say you good sir? Anxiously waiting for something better than this keyboard swapping setup :P

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@digitalfiz: These aren't the droids you're looking for. ;)

• digitalfiz
    digitalfiz
    Community Member

Oh how I wish they were though. I wouldn't say a thing to anyone if some mysterious alpha level apk showed up in my inbox just sayin :wink:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

Haha noted. I'm sure we'll have more to share in the future...provided the secret plans do not fall into the wrong hands. :silenced:

But in all seriousness, you can keep up with AgileBits and 1Password news by following us on Facebook, Twitter, our blog, and our email newsletter. Nothing spammy, always just useful 1Password tips and announcements. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I just wanted to let everyone here know that we've added preliminary support for Google's new Android O filling APIs in the latest betas. Hopefully it won't be far off that everyone gets it once we're finished testing things. And you're welcome to join the beta too if you like. Cheers! :)

• yoavst
    yoavst
    Community Member

@brenty , I'm on the latest beta on Android O, and I can't choose 1password on the autofill list. Will it be available only from next beta?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yoavst: First, I apologize for not being clearer. It's a bit confusing, so please check out my reply here for more details. I can't promise that it will be the next beta, but we're working to have Android O Autofill enabled as soon as possible. Currently we've got support for the other new Android filling, OpenYOLO, implanted (like I said, a bit confusing) and once we have 3rd party apps supporting this it will the preferred method, since it can work in older OS versions as well. Again, sorry for the sparse details of my previous comments. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

Feature is live now, nice! :)

• Lyman
    Lyman
    Community Member

How does it work? Can I turn off the accessibility version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

@Stanzilla: Thanks for the fanfare! We're really excited to have this in place now as well too. Finally! :lol:

@Lyman: It's still a beta, so you may want to keep your options open. That said, others have reported success and bravely eschewed the accessibility method to test the new stuff on its own. ;)

• Hey @Lyman!

When it comes to filling logins into apps, you should be able to use Autofill in lieu of Accessibility. There aren't currently any browsers that support Autofill with 1Password, so you'll still need the Accessibility service for that (at least for the time being).

To get started using Autofill with 1Password, you'll want to launch 1Password and visit Settings > Filling. Tapping on Autofill will launch the Settings app to the Autofill screen, where you can select 1Password as your Autofill provider.

After enabling Autofill, 1Password will attempt to detect login fields in other apps. If login fields are detected, then matching logins will be displayed in a dropdown below the active text field. If 1Password is locked, then you will be prompted to unlock first before matching logins are displayed.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member

So this new Autofill doesn't work in the Chrome browser? Any idea if Google will eventually support it?

• @adamjb I don't know whether it will eventually be supported in Chrome, but I hope so. :) Until then, our keyboard will work there.

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member

@peri it would be nice if you mentioned clearly and visibly that Chrome isn't supported. I spent a good half hour trying to get it working in Chrome before giving up.

This discussion has been closed.