To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Vault deleting after migrating from a dropbox sync setup to 1password account setup

Options
bradito
bradito
Community Member

This is 1/2 question, 1/2 feedback. After having help migrate a friend and myself from a dropbox sync across 2 iOS devices and 1 Mac device each, I feel like I'm a bit stuck on the last step.

TLDR: Is the best way to simplicity when migrating the following? migrate your first device to 1password account. Delete all data from other devices before trying to migrate them to prevent undeleted local vaults that were synced via other means?

Ramble:
Worked really well to create 1Password account on the web then login to first device (iOS) and let it migrate data. It then offers to delete the unused vault.

But then on the next two devices:
iOS: add my 1Password account in the app - finds new primary vault and downloads it. I found where I can go under the 'Vaults' page of the Settings section of the app, and delete my syncing-with-dropbox vault (at least I think I did, I'm sort of getting confused by fault names "primary" and "personal" and trying to rely on icons to let me know which is which). I'm pretty sure I'm good here - I only see one list of each of my items rather than duplication of everything. - It would be nice if the App somehow recognizes that I would want to delete the identical local vault like it offered to do on my first installed iOS device.

Mac: add my 1Password account to the 1Password application - downloads data. Everything is duplicated - go to find where I can delete my vault syncing with dropbox. I can disable it on the 'All Vaults' tab of the Preferences window, but can't delete it. I can go to the Sync tab where it says my Primary is syncing with Dropbox, and I turn that off, acknowledging all the warnings in the process. (I thought it was my "personal" that was syncing with dropbox)

I log into 1Password on the web and it says I'm in my Personal vault.

So I'm confused... do I have two vaults? one Primary and one Personal? is the Primary really just an 'alias' of my 'Personal' one? if so, the user interface on the Mac is confusing since it effectively lets me view my Primary and Personal vaults at the same time which would seem to be never necessary.

Feels like my best path is to rely on the 1Password web account now that I've moved all data there, then reset each device again to re-download from that account if my goal is stop dropbox syncing, have a single sync method using 1password. At least that's the subtle but consistent message I see in a number of 'delete vault' posts.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: dropbox to 1password is goal

Comments

• Hi @bradito,

Thank you for writing this. We have a lot of work to do with this whole process. We're going to keep working on it so that it's a much smoother experience.

Let's see if we can clear things up...

So I'm confused... do I have two vaults? one Primary and one Personal? is the Primary really just an 'alias' of my 'Personal' one?

If the Mac says you've got Primary & Personal, then yes you have two vaults. The Personal vault "belongs" to the 1Password.com account, and the Primary vault is the older vault that you were syncing with Dropbox. Primary is not an alias of Personal, they're different things.

So at this point you're wanting to drop the Primary vault from the Mac. The easiest way to do this is to go to Preferences > Advanced, and uncheck the checkbox at the bottom that says "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". Doing this will guide you through the process.

This is an easier process on iOS because on iOS we have a dedicated place in the app to manage all of your vaults. There's no such thing in the Mac app. It's something we've been wanting to add for a long time. This would have been an obvious place for you to go looking for this. I'm sorry that it's not there yet.

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• bradito
    bradito
    Community Member
    Options

yes, that did the trick!
    notes on my experience
    first, when I first closed preferences after unchecking the box and rentering old and new master passwords, my items seemed duplicated. I had about 5 seconds of freak out and then decided to close the app and reopen and it didn't have all the duplicates. Whew.

Secondly, I think that I saved a new password or two in the "Primary" vault after creating my account and trying to figure this out. (including the password for this forum account). I then did the above process and that password is gone (as it deleted the "Primary" vault).

So, I think if anyone takes their time between getting rid of their 'old' 'local' 'Primary' vault, and aren't saving their new data to 'Personal' vault, then follows the above recommendation, the 'Primary' vault is deleted without any differences checking.. could be a problem of lost data. (I just 'I forgot' my forum password and created a new one.)

• @bradito I think you're right there. We need to make that process better.

• tjnova
    tjnova
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same type of questions but on an Android phone. I converted to a 1password family account and added the account to the existing app on my mac. Next I deleted the old vault.

I had the app on my Android phone (using DropBox sync). I followed the instructions on 1Password support site to import my new account into the existing app. However, now I have a primary and personal vaults on my phone.

How do I get rid of the primary vault on my Android phone? Should I delete the old vault from my DropBox?

thanks

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tjnova - The easiest way to remove the Primary vault on your Android phone would probably to remove and re-install the app. From the Welcome screen sign into your account and you're back on track (sans the Primary vault).

Note: Make sure your data is really stored safely in the Personal vault before you remove the Primary vault, as it cannot be easily recovered!

Regarding the old vault on Dropbox I can not really make a recommendation on whether to delete it. As far as 1Password is concerned the Dropbox vault will not be needed anymore for every day use. Whether you want to delete it or move it to a backup drive is really up to you. :)

• pulpdoctor
    pulpdoctor
    Community Member
    Options

Rick:

I don't want to sound mean but I agree with you that Agile needs to work on this. I somewhat reluctantly moved to what I will call the "cloud" version (or web version) of 1Password. And just like the OP, I had two vaults. However, on most of my devices, the "new" cloud password was needed. HOWEVER, on my iMac computer, the "old, analog" password was needed. Curiously, using the old password opened up BOTH vaults (similar to the OP, I had a personal and primary vault). In other words, I had access to the cloud vault but didn't have to use the longer password.

Fortunately I came across this post which instantly solved my problem. In my opinion, the migration was very clunky. Fortunately, after migration, the difficulty quickly faded.

So, please work on making migration easier. Please.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @pulpdoctor - Thank you for letting us know about your experience and we appreciate the constructive feedback. As Rick mentioned, we're definitely working on improving the migration experience coming from a standalone license. I'm sorry you had to go through that and the information in this thread helped you. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us and for the feedback. This definitely helps show us where we can improve to make the experience better. :+1:

• JodiSte01
    JodiSte01
    Community Member
    Options

What do I do in this case?
    I can't untick the option as it tells me to delete them first. Where and How?

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi @JodiSte01! That option is disabled if you have more than one local vault present (i.e., if you have a "Primary" vault AND at least one additional local vault). For technical reasons, the "Primary" local vault must be the last local vault deleted - that option in the "Advanced" tab will only get rid of the "Primary" vault, and so it is disabled while other local vaults are present.

To remove those other local vaults, do the following instead (this will delete those vaults, so make sure you've backed up anything you need first!):

1. Use the vault switcher located in the top-left corner of the main app window to switch to the local vault you want to delete
    2. Click on the "1Password" menu in the top-left corner of your Mac's screen and choose "Delete Vault...", and then follow the on-screen directions
    3. Repeat the above steps for any additional local vaults you have. When you're down to just the "Primary" vault, you can either delete it this way, or use the tick-box mentioned above in the "Advanced" tab in Preferences

I hope that helps! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.