To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Local Account Backup

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi,

Although I really don't like software subscriptions, I would like to "upgrade" to a subscription to support the development(and also get to use the latest version) of the software.

Is there a way to locally backup my account data? I know it's not likely to happen, but I would like to be able to store a copy of my data in a location that I have control over and be able to access the data through the app(or otherwise) in case it's not on Agilebits servers anymore. Is this somehow possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @daheinrich,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. While there isn't what we'd call a "local backup" you do have a few options that may work for you:

1. 1Password automatically caches your data on your device so that in the even you (or we) are offline you still have access to your data.
    2. You can export your data to a 1PIF file, but note that this file is not encrypted and as such you'll need to take precautions to protect it -- such as storing it inside an encrypted disk image.
    3. You can create a standalone vault and periodically copy your items to it. Note that we are unable to detect duplicates when doing this so you may want to empty the vault first, before copying your data to it, to avoid duplicates. Alternatively you could archive the previously used backup vault and create a new one each time.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

ref: b5-3000

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

thank you for the fast response!

Is there an encrypted file or folder (Windows version) that I could include in my automatic backups and restore if needed, that would allow me to recover my data in case I or the Agilebits servers are offline during/after my local restore?

• bundtkate
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hey @daheinrich! On Windows, you'd want to backup the entire 1Password folder to be safe. The easiest way to access it is to right-click the start menu, select search and search for %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password. The data folder in that 1Password folder is where your local database cache lives, but you'll need the exact same version of 1Password 6 for Windows to open it up so backing up the entire folder so it includes the app itself is the safest route. On my PC, the 1Password folder is 16.5MB, so not tiny, but not huge either. Restoring this would be sufficient to access your data, though you'd need to take some extra steps to get filling up and running.

Ultimately, we want to add some better options for maintaining a backup on Windows for those who want them, but it's still in the planning stages right now. This will work for your purposes until we cook up something better, but keep an eye out for improvements as this isn't meant to be an ironclad backup plan just yet. :chuffed:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both for the help!
    Introducing this kind of feature would be great!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for the feedback! We're here if you have any other questions as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.