Incredibly slow sync times

Options
jasondunn
jasondunn
Community Member

I set up 1password on a new Android phone (a fast OnePlus 3), and it syncs with Dropbox. I'm home and on WiFi, and was really shocked to see how slow the "Synching with Dropbox" process is. I have 966 items in 1password, and it was going at about one item per 1 or 1.5 seconds. It was painful to watch sync. I'm surprised by this because the vast majority of my items are logins, which I'd be shocked if they were more than 1 KB each. This clearly isn't an issue of bandwidth, so what's the choke point here? Is there some sort of local processing of downloaded items that is happening on the phone? Any chance this could be made less painful in the future?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasondunn: Are you perhaps using an AgileKeychain vault? If so, 1Password has to make an individual connection for each item (which is an individual file in the .agilekeychain bundle) to Dropbox, wait for a response, download the item, etc., repeat. OPVault is more compact, so it's more efficient for this type of scenario. If you're using recent versions of 1Password on each device, then there really isn't any reason not to switch:

How to switch to the OPVault format from Agile Keychain

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there Brenty. Thanks for the info - yes, I was using the AgileKeychain vault. It did look transactional, which explains the slowness. It looks like I had that option turned on by default already (I definitely did not turn it on) but I never went through the delete/re-sync process. I've made the change and both my Macs and my Windows PC are using the new OPVault format. Do I need to make any change on Android/iOS devices or will it pick it up automatically?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasondunn: Gotcha! Yeah we enabled that by default a while back, but it won't automatically migrate anyone's vaults since that would break sync without them knowing. You'll need to point 1Password on each device to the new vault you've created (and archive the old one on your computer, just in case). With 1Password for Android there isn't a way to do this in settings though, so you'll need to reinstall the app there and then set it up with the new vault in Dropbox. I think that should do it for you, but be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty, that did the trick. Wow, it's SO much faster on Android using the OPVault. I wonder how many customers are suffering through the negative experience of using Agile Keychain on Android and aren't coming here to ask for help...I'd strongly encourage your team to consider a mandatory upgrade to OPVault as part of a future upgrade. Sometimes people don't know what they're missing until you do it for them. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasondunn: That's great to hear! Thanks for letting me know! Generally we do recommend OPVault, but there is one instance where it is more of a mixed bag: If you're using 1Password for Windows version 4, it was designed prior to OPVault and as we added this later it does not have good performance. But it does depend on the machine, and for some that's an acceptable tradeoff. Just wanted to make you aware of that, and be sure to let us know if you need anything! :)

This discussion has been closed.