Search Options not consistent between "Items List Layout" > Left and "Items List Layout" > Top

PaulD
PaulD
Community Member

I've been around the houses a bit today in trying to solve my issue.

I always have my view set to "Items List Layout" > Top, because I prefer the simplified layout (I don't think it's necessary to group each title under subheadings of their respective first letters, as the Left layout does).

I use tags extensively, and often search for tags on the Windows version of 1Password, which is my main platform. When I searched for a tag on the Mac version, it didn't show up. I then referred to this forum for answers, which suggested that I click on the "Expand search to All Fields" button. However, this button did not display. I then searched the forum again, and found the following discussion:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/58898/how-to-search-all-content-by-default-on-1password-6

If it hadn't been for the screenshot that Jacob posted, I wouldn't have been able to solve my problem.

It's apparent that the search options are not consistent between the two layouts, Left and Top - both the "Expand search to All Fields" button, and the dropdown menu on the search field. Furthermore, having this inconsistency between the Mac and Windows versions adds to the confusion.

I hope you will consider resolving this issue soon.

Many thanks

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PaulD,

Thank you for writing in to ask us about that! I'm sorry you've been having some trouble changing the search option to "all fields". Although the 'Expand Search to All Fields' button doesn't appear in the Top layout as it does in the Left layout, you should still be able to click the magnifying glass on the left side of the Search field and select 'Search All Fields'. I just tested it myself to make sure:

If you don't see the same thing as in the screenshot, can you please describe what you see instead?

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I'm almost certain that I didn't have the "Search All Fields" option in the dropdown before, although now I've changed the layout back to Top, it is displayed. Is that possible?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PaulD,

I'm glad that option is displayed for you now! It's possible it may have been missing under certain circumstances, as I think I've noticed similar behavior before. I haven't been able to figure out specific steps to reproduce that, though. Our developers have been looking into a couple minor issues related to search, so if this turns out to be a bug, it's possible other fixes will solve it. I'll keep an eye out for that in case I notice it again. Thanks! :)

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member

Thank you for your honesty. If I work out how to reproduce it reliably, I'll report back here.

• @PaulD,

I had previously taken a look at that code and it wasn't immediately apparent why it would exclude the all fields menu item. If you're able to get it to happen with the current release version, we might have you try your luck at the current 6.7 beta release as I did make a number of improvements to the search field menu item enabling code there.

Rudy

• ddoron
    ddoron
    Community Member

I've just noticed the same behavior in 6.7. I updated to 6.8 (680015), and still didn't see "Search All Fields". Switching the layout to "Left" and back to "Top" made it appear, however. "Search Major Fields" was always available, with a check mark next to it.

• @ddoron,

Let us know if it doesn't stick and we'll open an issue to investigate further.

Rudy

• ddoron
    ddoron
    Community Member

Update:
    I can now easily reproduce this bug on 6.8 (680015). On a fresh launch of 1P, "Search All Fields" is visible. But the following steps make it disappear:
    With "Search Major Fields" checked, type a search string that will yield zero results. This seems to be important to reproducing the issue.
    Once you're done typing the string, click the magnifying glass. You should now have your first option be "Show Search Options", NOT "Search Major/All Fields". Okay, now, clear the string from the search bar. All your records should return below. Now click the magnifying glass, and you should see that there's only "Show Major Fields" (with a check mark), and then "Show Search Options", ie, "All Fields" is gone.

/cc @rudy

• @ddoron,

Thanks!

Rudy

• ddoron
    ddoron
    Community Member

@rudy Here's a 30-second video showing the bug on a demo vault.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlq-MT_oX14

• @ddoron,

Thanks for the video. I have put up a fix for this behavior that is slated for inclusion in 6.8.1.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.