can you link data between categories? I.E. A Link in the Login Categorie to the Bank Accts Category

Options
tarik
tarik
Community Member

I'm trying to find out if you do a link as questioned. An example is you have a Login Category and you want to "JUMP" to a category card in bank accounts, because somehow this data is related. Can you set up such a Link?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra
Sync Type: dropbox/icloud
Referrer: forum-search:features

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tarik,

Thanks for the question! Yes, this is possible if you're using a 1Password.com account. Vaults in accounts have a Related Items feature to link items to each other. When editing an item, click the Link Existing button (near the bottom of the item details, in the Related Items section) and choose one of the other items in your vault. You can easily jump to that item by clicking the link in the item details.

You said you're syncing your 1Password data with Dropbox and iCloud, so it sounds like you might not have a 1Password.com account. Local vaults (the kind that can sync via Dropbox or iCloud) are not part of a 1Password.com account and don't have the Related Items feature. If you're interested in that feature and don't already have an account on 1Password.com, you might want to give it a try, as there are many benefits: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• invenio
    invenio
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. I had the same problem. Like @tarik I have "only" purchased the Mac and iPhone editions of 1Password, and I sync them in a similar way. Having made investments into these tools already, I don't want to purchase a 1Password.com account. I believe that many of us think similarly.

So, is there a chance that linking this information will be possible in future with the apps we purchased without resorting to a 1Password membership?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @invenio,

I'm not aware of any plans to bring this feature to standalone vaults. 1Password.com vaults were designed with this feature in mind, whereas updating standalone vaults to include it would mean changing the vault structure, which creates a whole other set of challenges.

Ben

• invenio
    invenio
    Community Member
    Options

It's a pity... Don't get me wrong, I love the 1Password app! And I don't easily say that about products. I've had a thorough look around other password managers before I decided to make 1Password the password manager for myself and my family on all our mobile and desktop systems. I don't make purchase decisions light-hearted in a whiff of a moment.

Unfortunately, having paid about $100 (AUD that is) already, makes it hard to yet add more to that. Living in Australia (especially in a city like Sydney) means you're constantly charged for things. Life is definitely not cheap here, so I treat purchases like the 1Password app as an investment into future.

I understand that the original data structure of the vaults might not easily support linking categories with each other. But since there's a divergence between the app and 1Password.com vaults would the product planning over time look to move everything over to 1Password.com accounts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@invenio: It's not something we have plans for right now, as we've just recently announced support for local vaults will be in the next version, 1Password 7, too. But we're not going to be able to retrofit features like this which take advantage of the flexibility of 1Password.com's data structures and hosted model onto old formats. Not only would it be difficult, engineering-wise, but it would also break compatibility and screw things up for a lot of people in the process. With 1Password.com, we can make changes to the structures under the hood as needed on the server side without breaking things for anyone. And it's also guaranteed that when we need to make changes in the apps themselves to accommodate this that people will be able to get the newest version too, since it's included in their membership. So there are a lot of considerations involved, even if adding this capability to OPVault were feasible — and a lot of people are still using AgileKeychain, and there's no way we'd be able to do it there too.

This discussion has been closed.