Fingerprint Unlock support on Non-Google-Devices

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member

As iPhones are not getting cheaper over time and the upcoming iPhone ?? will probably cost beyond €1200, I'm thinking of switching to Android. However if I need one app to work on Android, it's 1Password. Especially unlocking it with my finger print is important to me.
Does anyone have experience how/if unlocking the app works on anything that's not coming from Google? I'm currently considering a Samsung S8 or a OnePlus 5 as an iPhone replacement. Do those work? Do others work?
I don't mean to be rude, but please only reply if you have experienced that this works and not something like "It should work" or "I heard it should work". :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: 1Password for Android uses Google's Nexus Imprint APIs oringinally introduced in Android M, so devices that support that fully will work. It's definitely difficult to determine which do though. Google's Nexus-branded devices and those from other major vendors like Samsung which shipped with Android M or higher tend to work, but many which should otherwise be capable do not due to customized software and incompatible hardware — and many that could support Nexus Imprint simply never receive updates to do so.

I know with certainty that Galaxy 7 and 8 work. I seem to recall that Galaxy 6 did as well, but that Galaxy 5 did not. We received reports last year that several OnePlus/OxygenOS devices did not work, but I have not seen reports since then indicating if this was resolved with updates or in more recent models. Personally I've been really happy with the Nexus 6P (which was a no-brainer for me anyway to get Project Fi), and it was incredibly affordable. But there are newer, more powerful models out there of course, though often more expensive.

And as a long-time iOS user myself as well, I'd say definitely see if you can get some face time with the ones you're interested in (perhaps from a friend, but often you have a refund period even once you buy), not just for 1Password/Nexus Imprint, but also to see if you'd really be happy with Android and the device itself. It's certainly a big change in a lot of small ways, and there's a lot of variance in the Android ecosystem between devices. It's a blessing and a curse, so a bit of "research" can go a long way. Cheers! :)

• @Manaburner I wanted to add on to what brenty said. While we have had reports of Fingerprint Unlock being iffy on the Galaxy S6 and S7, we've so far had only positive reports of it working well on the S8. @saad has an S8 and I don't believe he's had any trouble with Fingerprint Unlock on it. Similarly, we've had reports of it working on OnePlus devices, but that I can't respond to definitively. Maybe other users here will be able to chime in with their experience with those devices.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Thank you @peri and @brenty for your replies.

I'm using a DTEK 50 Blackberry with Android 6 as my business phone so I have kind of an idea how Android feels (Although I don't know "how" Android it is) I've heard that Samsung is a completely different story because they change and add a lot to their version of Android.

There are things that are different from iOS and some that are really bugging me, but you need accept change sometimes :)

The problem is that there's not one Android (except that on Google devices) so it's not like on an iPhone where there's only one operating system and you know it's gonna work. That's one of the main reasons that make me hestitant to switch. And also that it's not clear at all if you can get updates in a year or two.

• I hear you, @Manaburner! Diversity can be awesome, but it can also be tough to deal with, especially if you're more used to the iOS environment, which is uniform. With Android, OEMs have free reign for the most part and can indeed use their own flavors of Android, which makes it difficult to know quite what you're going to get.

I will say that if you want quick updates, go with a Google device. Samsung devices can take a year or two to receive OS updates after they're released, which is no fun when you're anticipating things like automatic filling in Android O.

• HyenaBeans
    HyenaBeans
    Community Member

For what it's worth, I use a Sony Xperia XZ and the finger print unlock works fine with 1Password! I think it basically comes down to what each OEM decides to do... Sony has been pretty good about making decent choices, ahaha.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Thank you for the input @HyenaBeans . I really appreciate it :)

• HyenaBeans
    HyenaBeans
    Community Member

No worries! Figured I may as well chime in since I have that actual experience with a non-Google device with a finger print scanner. :>

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience, HyenaBeans! :) :+1:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

I have invited my girlfriend to the Family Account and I'm happy to report that her Moto G5 plus works flawlessly with the fingerprint unlock in 1Password :) So here's another one for the list

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I've heard good things about recent Motorola devices too, but it's good to get confirmation for that one. :)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

The device itself is nice, but the call quality is meh. Of course that's not 1Password's fault ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

Honestly, I've never been satisfied with the call quality with any phone/carrier combination...unless I'm using Skype or something. I'm old enough to remember when I could hear the person on the other end crystal-clear over landlines — which I haven't had in nearly two decades. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.