To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have had a 1P accnt for last 3+ years. I can not get my secret key. How?

Options
cbpyle3
cbpyle3
Community Member
edited August 2017 in Memberships

I have had a 1P account for 3+ years. System says I am not there under me.com. I would like to find my secret key, but have no PDF. I find that in order to generate a secret key I must have a secret key. To make thing interesting I am using a newer login from gmail.com

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I am attempting to locate my secret key. I can not

Comments

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there, @cbpyle3 !

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with 1Password. There are two different ways to use 1Password:

• 1Password Accounts (Recommended): 1Password accounts offer a few benefits over standalone licenses. Some of these include automatic syncing, the ability to view and manage your data on 1Password.com, access to all of the 1Password apps, and more! 1Password accounts are a subscription-based service but are the recommended way to use 1Password.
    • Standalone Licenses (Advanced): Standalone licenses are a one-time purchase, but do not include some of the features that 1Password accounts have. Additionally, standalone licenses require you to be responsible for setting up your own syncing method, doing manual backups, and other complex features. Because of this, standalone licenses are only recommended for more advanced 1Password users.

For more information on the differences between standalone licenses and 1Password accounts, I would recommend checking out this nifty knowledge base article: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

It sounds like you purchased a standalone license rather than signing up for an account, which is why we are unable to locate any accounts under your email address.

The Secret Key that you mentioned is one of the credentials that are exclusive to 1Password.com accounts. It works with your Master Password to secure your data. Because you are using a license instead of an account, you do not have a Secret Key.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• cbpyle3
    cbpyle3
    Community Member
    Options

I own a family account for my wife and me. How do I obtain the secret key

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @cbpyle3 !

It looks like you purchased a Family license, but I couldn't find any accounts associated with your email address. You would only have a Secret Key if you were using a 1Password.com account.

Accounts and licenses are two different ways to use 1Password: https://support.1password.com/why-account/ - In your case, you were using the latter method.

Accounts are the recommended method for using 1Password. If you are interested in upgrading to an account, please feel free to follow these instructions: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.