To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't install on second Macbook Pro.

Options
Jazzper
Jazzper
Community Member

I am trying to setup 1Password on a newer MacBook. My current one has been running it since 2/2016 without a problem. However, when I try to put in my credentials on the newer MB Pro - I enter my email, my Secret Key and my Master Password - it does not accept them. I've tried using the scan option and also sending the link to it. In both cases, it populates the new MBP properly and I enter my Master PW but it still says the info is wrong. I can't even get into 1Password.com with these credentials from the original MBP!!

I did notice one weird thing....under Preferences there is the Change Master Password option in the Security tab (I've done this a couple of times to make sure that was not the issue). But there is also a Change Password button under the Secret Key in the Preferences->Account section. What password is this? It is obviously not the Master PW as it does not take my current one. Is this the one I need to be entering on the newer MBP? What is this one for? How can it be reset if lost?

HELP!!! My head is sore from all the wall-banging!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jazzper: It sounds like you'd been using a local vault (Primary) with one Master Password, and then used a different one when you signed up for a 1Password.com account. (Un)fortunately AgileBits doesn't ever have either your Secret Key or Master Password, as that wouldn't be very secure at all. The Master Password is chosen by you, and the Secret Key is generated locally on your device. Neither is ever transmitted.

We don't have access to your data can't recover either of these for you, so I hope you're able to find your Emergency Kit. Otherwise it will not be possible to login to your 1Password Account. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

And keep in mind that there is no risk to trying many times, so be sure to try any Master Passwords you may have used. Otherwise you will need to create a new account. Let me know what you find!

• Jazzper
    Jazzper
    Community Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I'm aware of all the info you posted below your first paragraph from reading the support forums. I DO have my Emergency Kit, Secret Key and Master Password (which I've changed a couple of times as I mentioned above).

Do you - or anyone else reading this - know the difference between the Master Password (which can be changed under the Preferences->Security tab) and the password under the Preferences->Account tab?

It is the latter one that I do not recall and I don't see any option to request that it be reset anywhere. I don't see any references to that password anywhere in this support forum and it was not referenced in my Emergency Kit. I submitted a ticket to AgileBits Support email so hopefully someone there will get back to me with a solution relatively quickly.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @Jazzper! In regards to the two "change password" buttons, you're seeing both because you're running a mix of local vaults and vaults belonging to subscription accounts. Whenever a "Primary" local vault is present, the 1Password app unlocks with the master password of the Primary vault, which is what the button in Preferences > Security is linked to. As local vaults have no connection to subscription accounts whatsoever, it sounds very likely from the situation description you provided that you chose a different master password for your subscription account (which is what the change password button in the Preferences > Accounts tab is linked to). I hope that clears up the purpose of the two different buttons!

Regarding the problem then of getting into your account, I do indeed see the email you sent us regarding this - as I may end up discussing private details of your account, I'll follow that part of the discussion up with you via email instead :+1:

ref: EHL-23482-212

This discussion has been closed.