Creating new 1Password items + Secure Password Generator

beastman
beastman
Community Member

Is the auto save or at least add a login possible with the Linux/Chrome version 8.3?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @beastman,

Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta!

Autosaving passwords is certainly a core 1Password feature, and it will be included in a future release of 1Password for Chrome. I will be completely honest and say, we just don't quite know when we will be shipping this important feature. One of the really cool aspects of developing this new extension, is we get to rethink how we as 1Password users and developers experience 1Password within a web browser. Before creating items we really wanted to fully redesign the Secure Password Generator. My friend Dan (our lead designer) has a super cool concept created, and now we just need the actual code to make it work. :chuffed:

In the meantime, you can add items by signing in to your account, opening a vault, and clicking the + button at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for taking the time to write this post! <3

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• beastman
    beastman
    Community Member

Thank you!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Jochemdeen
    Jochemdeen
    Community Member

Before creating items we really wanted to fully redesign the Secure Password Generator. My friend Dan (our lead designer) has a super cool concept created, and now we just need the actual code to make it work. :chuffed:

So am I correct in inferring that a password generator is also in the pipeline?

I really like the beta so far, these two (password generator and login saver) are basically the only features that I am missing :-)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@Jochemdeen: You're absolutely correct! :+1: :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• jmml97
    jmml97
    Community Member

Great extension! Now I can use 1Password on Linux easily :) I've tried it with multiple sites and seems to work perfectly.

However I tried to find an option to create a new password for a new site, but I've not been able to find it. Is it available? If it isn't, is it something that will come later?

Extension Version: 0.8.4
    OS Version: 10.12.6
    Sync Type: my.1Password

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@jmml97: Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta!

I'm in the process of inviting quite a few folks to join us, so if you don't mind I've merged your question here. I believe my answer above should answer all your questions, but please let me know if you have any additional ones.

I hope you have a pleasant week. :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• stark
    stark
    Community Member

I am trying 1password for the first time due to my company mandating it, previously I used Keepass and the Chrome built-in password vault. Unless I'm missing something or it's broken it seems to be missing a few tricks.

I reached the signup page for a new account, fill in a username and a few other fields, reached a password field, and looked around for a way to have 1password generate a store a password. It didn't pop up with anything, there was nothing added to the dropdown when I right-clicked on the password field, and when I clicked on the 1 password extension icon it brought up a generic UI where I could search for an existing account.

Afaict I would have to switch to a new tab and open the 1password web ui to go create a new account. Select a name of my choosing, fill in the username matching what I already put in the web form, etc etc. Then switch back and find that account in the extension navigate to it and use the clipboard to actually copy the password and paste it into the form.

This seems incredibly laborious so I feel like I must be missing something. What I expected to happen was that as soon as I arrived on a password field a little popup 1password thing would appear where I could click once and generate a new password which would immediatey be stored along with the domain name and username and other information from the form.

As a side note I went through the whole process to create the account and then wasn't able to use it in the extension because I got an error

Your file was not found
    It may have been moved or deleted.
    ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

for the chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/ url

Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

Hey @stark,

I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your question here as well. It seems you are experiencing some of the issues I expected brand new users to 1Password to have. As you can see from my comments above, we don't create new 1Password items in 1Password for Chrome at all yet. This makes it so this extension will be extremely challenging for users that aren't already using 1Password or don't use 1Password across multiple platforms.

You can add items by signing in to your account, opening a vault, and clicking the + button at the bottom of the page.

As a side note, I will look into the error you're seeing after signing up for a new account. Thanks for bringing that to our attention! If you remove 1Password for Chrome (by right-clicking and selecting "Remove from Chrome) and reinstall it, are you still having the same problem?

I sincerely apologize for the difficulties; this is the reason why I tell everyone I invite to our beta that they "will encounter unpolished edges and incomplete features." Currently, those incomplete features are most painful for brand new users. This is why I fought to keep this particular beta private for now (even though it adds work for me).

Let me know if that helps and feel free to monitor our development progress. Don't feel guilty to wait until we can meet all your needs.

Thanks for taking the time to test out 1Password, and please let me know if you have any additional questions. We want our new user experience to be amazing when we do take this public.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• stark
    stark
    Community Member

I'm sorry, I expected some rough edges but as I wasn't a frequent 1password user I didn't know what to expect so I was taken a bit by surprise when a chunk of functionality was just missing. Perhaps it would be good to mock out the missing features so at least there's a greyed out button or a note saying creating new accounts isn't ready yet.

The error I get is when I click on a an account in the 1password UI. The dropdown UI appears, I can navigate to an account, but when I click on it I get a new tab showing the "Not Found" error. My guess is this is a bug due to this being not the only profile and 1password not being installed in the other profiles. But that's just a sheer guess.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@stark: No need to apologize at all. :)

Perhaps it would be good to mock out the missing features so at least there's a greyed out button or a note saying creating new accounts isn't ready yet.

That's an interesting idea, but I'm honestly not sure if that would be better or worse. I tend to think greyed out buttons would be equally confusing to new users.

The error I get is when I click on a an account in the 1password UI. The dropdown UI appears, I can navigate to an account, but when I click on it I get a new tab showing the "Not Found" error. My guess is this is a bug due to this being not the only profile and 1password not being installed in the other profiles.

I've done some testing on my end, and I'm fairly confident you're running into one of the following bugs:

• Clicking on the title of an Identity Item (instead of the arrow) results in us attempting to execute something we call a Go & Fill resulting in an ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. This is a feature that normally allows you navigate to a website and automatically fill in the login page, just by clicking a 1Password Login item. We automatically create an Identity Item (using your Name) as part of your account sign up process, so I think it's a good chance that's what you're clicking on.
    • Executing a Go & Fill on a Login item that has an empty Website field results in an ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND.

Does one of those sound possible?

We will get these fixed (hopefully sooner than later) and pushed out in a future release of 1Password for Chrome.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• stark
    stark
    Community Member

I think I was clicking on the title of an account or the "Go" instead of the arrow. I think I would have assumed the title of the account would be the same as the arrow. I can now copy passwords.

I think I would not have expected a 1pass button to navigate to the login page. On the other hand I would have expected a button to fill in the password field on the current page without using the copy/paste steps which doesn't seem to be one of the options here.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@stark: Sorry for the confusion. I'm not quite sure what you see on your end, so let me try to explain this slightly better.

If the page you are currently on doesn't match the domain in the website field of your login item, you can search for it and click the title. This will open the website in a new tab, and if the website is a login page, 1Password should fill the login form. Here's a demo of that for this website.

If you're already on the Login page of a website, all you need to do is click the 1Password extension (or use the keyboard shortcut you have configured in settings) and hit enter or click the Login item you'd like to fill. Here's a demo of that.

Finally, if you don't wish to fill a login, you can click the arrow to the right of any Login item and view the detail of that Login item.

Let me know if that helps. :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• mjkadel
    mjkadel
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I've signed into Chrome so that my extensions sync between devices. 2 of my 3 devices are Windows 10 desktops, and 1 is an Ubuntu 16 laptop. I've noticed that if I use the standard publicly available plugin for Windows the 1Password extension will notice new logins and ask to save them. But the Linux beta version does not, at least not on my Windows computers. I'm actually not sure if it sees new logins in Ubuntu.

I feel like the beta Linux extension used to notice new logins, and when I was running both the beta and the public extension I would often have to deal with two 1Password prompts. I figured I'd just try running the Beta and see how that went, and now new logins aren't automatic.

Should the beta Linux plug also be fully functional with Chrome on Windows?

1Password Version: 6.7.457
    Extension Version: 0.8.4
    OS Version: Windows
    Sync Type: 1Password Cloud Account

• mjkadel
    mjkadel
    Community Member

I can confirm that the plug doesn't appear to notice new logins in Chrome on Linux either.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mjkadel,

I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your question here in an attempt to keep related comments together. We don't create new 1Password items in 1Password for Chrome yet. I have slightly longer answer above, please let me know if you have any questions not covered in it.

Cheers!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• mjkadel
    mjkadel
    Community Member

@beyer Thanks for moving it. I hadn't managed to find this discussion earlier. I'll sit tight.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

No worries! We have a few revolutionary ideas that we believe will truly improve the overall 1Password experience, now we just need to write the code to match our vision. :tongue:

Have a great week!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.