Searching for tags doesn't work except in the 1Password app.

Options
JDW
JDW
Community Member

I have a software license setup for Carbon Copy Cloner. I added a tag to it named "CCC". But if I click on the 1Password MINI icon in my menubar and type "CCC" it says "no items found." It's only when I type "Carbon" that it will appear. Capitalization doesn't matter. Same problem happens if I click on the 1Password lock icon in my Safari menubar and type "CCC" -- no results. If I open the 1Password and type "CCC" in the search field, I also get no results, but at least the app gives me the option to click a button named "Expand Search to All Fields" which when clicked finally shows Carbon Copy Cloner.

I want to be able to type in my tags from anywhere (1Password MINI, etc.) and have all entries associated with that typed tag to appear. Why else would I even take time to add tags!? So my question therefore is, how do I accomplish this? I don't see a preference setting for it. Maybe you could please add one?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JDW: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! This isn't really how tags are designed to work (or how most people use them, from what I've seen), but it's certainly worth considering. I'm not personally going to be an advocate for creating a new tag for abbreviations like this, as I tend to add "keywords" like what you're doing either to the titles themselves or as notes. For example, for a long time I was a Time Warner customer for my cable. This meant juggling a lot of different names they'd used for their service over the years: RoadRunner, TWC, and now Spectrum, just to name a few. Since I would search for each of these at times, so I took to adding these terms to the item's details to make it easier for me to find.

Ultimately our priority with 1Password mini is browser filling, so I think we need to focus on that to the exclusion of some things like this. It's most important that Logins are easy to find and use. Tags are an organizational feature, not a search engine optimization. I think it's fine if you want to use them that way, but I want to be honest and straightforward both with the fact that we don't have plans to change 1Password to work in the particular way you are trying to do here, and also the reasoning behind that. My instinct is that you're not searching for this software license daily, so we want to optimize 1Password for the things that are more frequent. But I appreciate that it's probably just an example you chose arbitrarily, so I'd love to hear more about what you're trying to do and why. Perhaps there's something we can do in a future version that will help not only you but others as well. Thanks in advance! :)

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate your reply, brenty.

While it's true I'm not searching for that particular item daily, I do search 1Password MINI daily, about 6-8 times in fact. I've been a 1Password user for many years and have a lot stored in 1Password (more than just passwords). Through the years, I've always added tags thinking they would do what tags normally do everywhere else on the web -- be searchable keywords. Most of the time I get results, but only because it just so happens the first few chars I type are the name of the item I am searching for. But when I search for tags, they never appear, which has always been terribly disappointing to me. But in fact your full app does accommodate tag-based searching, albeit making us jump through the one hoop of clicking a button when no results are displayed. So because your app already has the ability to search "all fields" (which includes tags), shouldn't it be a rather simple addition of a preference setting to enable that functionality globally? If so, I say it would be a worthwhile addition.

I honestly would never in a million years thought those tags were for "something else." Indeed, I still don't see how they are useful without being tied to search. I wouldn't need them for anything other than search. The reason is because the existing Categories are the only "folders" I need to file everything (credit cards, licenses, IDs, Notes, Logins, etc.)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @JDW - we really appreciate anyone who takes the time to make their thoughts/wishes about 1Password known to us, and to engage in dialogue about it. A not-insignificant portion of what you see in 1Password today has come at least in part from user input over the years.

Having said that, and while I'm glad that you need only the Categories to organize your data, many users use tags in exactly the way brenty specified. I do myself, in fact. And while we can certainly mention the suggestion to our development team, I have to agree with brenty's caution that it's not likely we'll be adding this to 1Password any time in the near future. Thanks again for bringing it up with us, and keep an eye on the updates -- you never know!

This discussion has been closed.