Mini says "Add Chrome extension" but it's already installed

Options

When I open mini it often says "Add Chrome extension", but it's already installed. If I close the Mini dialog (but don't kill the process) and re-open it right away, then it works.

This only started happening after the last 1PW update. I've read a few other forum threads but they didn't have anything that helped. I've rebooted several times, and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension.

1Password Version: 6.8 (680015)
Extension Version: 4.6.9.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: None

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @iandunn,

Sorry about the trouble with the "Add Chrome extension" popping up. Do you see this just after you launch the Chrome browser? Or has Chrome been running for a while when it happens?

The 1Password mini should only display this message if Chrome is the front-most / active application and the 1Password app doesn't detect that the 1Password Chrome extension has connected from is so it thinks there isn't one installed. If Chrome is just starting up then it could be that the 1Password extension to app connection simply hasn't fully set up yet.

Looking forward to hearing back if that sounds like what's happening.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• iandunn
    iandunn
    Community Member
    Options

It happens all the time. It seems like once it starts to work, it will work consistently for the next few minutes or maybe an hour, but it'll temporarily stop working throughout the day. Maybe it stops working every time 1PW locks?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iandunn: Can you be more specific? Which version of Chrome are you using? Does it really seem to be time-based, or perhaps connected to your browser use or specific actions? Any details are appreciated!

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't reported this in a while, but I continue to occasionally see 1Password Helper seeming to "forget" that there's an extension installed and connected. This is a bit annoying because I generally only notice this when I press CMD-\ and nothing happens. I'm not sure if this belongs in the Mac forum or the extension forum, but since I just updated to a new beta and release candidate of the Mac app I'm posting here:

Chrome is up-to-date:

Chrome extension:

In the past it's sometimes come back by itself. Other times I've quit 1PW Mini and re-launched 1Password to fix it. This time, neither of those things worked, so I disabled and then re-enabled the extension. That appeared to get things working (1PW Mini appeared to be talking to the extension), but it still refused to fill. Thinking perhaps the website logic has changed, I tried to save a new login, only to have that silently fail.

It's late so I'm not going to troubleshoot anymore right now. I'm not sure if it's related, but ever since the move to the new form of communication between 1PW mini and the extension I seem to be seeing glitches like these much more frequently.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @matthew_ag I'm seeing the same thing as the OP, and similarly it has been affecting me for weeks. I attributed it to recent beta updates of the Mac client, so I documented it in the Mac Beta forum:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81328/6-8-1-beta-4-feedback#latest

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hey @iandunn,

Thanks for your reply.

It seems like once it starts to work, it will work consistently for the next few minutes or maybe an hour, but it'll temporarily stop working throughout the day. Maybe it stops working every time 1PW locks?

The connection shouldn't drop even if the app locks. As of 1Password for 6.8 we moved to a new connection between the app and the extension called Native Messaging. It appears that this new connection is intermittently dropping for you which would be the cause of this "Add Chrome Extension..." message appearing.

When you notice this happening again could you please send us a Diagnostics Report which should help us identify what was going on at that point?

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81274/mini-says-add-chrome-extension-but-its-already-installed#latest
    • Your forum username: iandunn

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Best regards,
    Matthew

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @EnerJi,

Wow, thank you so much for writing up all that feedback. This is really great work. It certainly looks like this is affecting a number of our users. We haven't seen much of it ourselves so your help is appreciated. As I mentioned earlier this message will appear in the 1Password mini if the 1Password detects that:

1. Chrome is the front-most application.
    2. There is no connection from a Chrome extension to the 1Password app.

As I mentioned to iandunn above, when you encounter this again please do send us a Diagnostics Report which will hopefully help us identify what's going on with the connection from the 1Password app side.
    Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81274/mini-says-add-chrome-extension-but-its-already-installed#latest
    • Your forum username: EnerJi

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Best regards,
    Matthew

• iandunn
    iandunn
    Community Member
    Options

Which version of Chrome are you using?

The latest, 60.0.3112.101.

Does it really seem to be time-based, or perhaps connected to your browser use or specific actions?

The following steps reproduce it reliably on my machine. I know they won't on all machines, but I'm posting them to help clarify what's happening for me:

1. Open a site in Chrome that I have a 1PW entry for
    2. Press cmd-alt-\ to open Mini, type in master password to unlock
    3. I see the "Add Chrome extension" error
    4. Hit esc to close Mini
    5. Press cmd-alt-\ to open Mini again, and this time it shows the entry for the current site
    6. Browse to other sites, open Mini, and it'll work every time
    7. Wait until 1PW locks on its own, or manually lock it
    8. Return to step 1 and the exact same results occur

So, it seems like the bug happens every time Mini is unlocked. Once it's unlocked, then it works fine.

I attributed it to recent beta updates of the Mac client, so I documented it in the Mac Beta forum:

I'm not running the beta, this happens for me in 6.8 (680015).

The connection shouldn't drop even if the app locks.

It seems like that is what's happening, though, based on the reproduction steps above.

When you notice this happening again could you please send us a Diagnostics Report which should help us identify what was going on at that point?

The support ID is #JWU-21641-971.

I went through the reproduction steps above twice today (Wed Aug 23) before generating the report, so that should help narrow down where to look in the logs. The problem has also been happening for at least a few weeks, probably since I installed the latest 1PW version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

@EnerJi: I've merged your other post here so we can focus the discussion here. Greatly appreciated!

ref: JRB-51124-789

@iandunn: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: JWU-21641-971

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks; I'll try to remember to post here for issues related to 1PW Mini in the future.

@iandunn Just for fun, I tried to recreate the issue using your steps and I was unable to. I know you said it may not work the same way for others.

@matthew_ag However, I did experience the issue again just now when I installed 1PW for Mac 6.8.1 (I was previously on 6.8.1-Beta4), so I captured a diagnostic report as you requested. The support ID is: [#JRB-51124-789]

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @EnerJi. I located the report and we'll see if anything stands out.

ref: JRB-51124-789

• iandunn
    iandunn
    Community Member
    Options

After upgrading to 6.8.1, I haven't gotten the error at all today. It's too soon to say for sure, but that's a good sign.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, thanks for letting us know! It sounds promising, and we're here if you encounter any further issues. :)

This discussion has been closed.