Can Family Members Create/Manage Their Own Private Vaults?

bayoyong
bayoyong
Community Member

Hi. Just switched to a Family membership after being a long-time user of 1Pass. I invited my parents to a shared vault that I created. Next was wondering if my parents can create their own vault that is private to them under my membership? Or would that require their own membership?

Thx,
Jeff
Phoenix, AZ

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bayoyong! I'll be happy to help you out! :+1:

Members of a Families account belong to one of two different account "roles" - "Familiy Organizer" or "Family Member". These can be set for any given member of the account by an existing Family Organizer via the "Members" settings for the account (click on a member, and then over on the left you can choose if they're a Family Organizer or a Family Member).

Family Organizers are essentially the account owners/administrators - they have access to create new vaults, perform account recovery, manage billing settings for the account, etc..

Family Members are able to access any vaults that are shared with them, and can manage any vaults they've been given "Allow Managing" permissions on, but otherwise, that's it.

Family Organizers automatically have management rights to all non-Private vaults in an account, and can therefore give themselves access to any additional vaults created in an account. Only the "Private" vaults should be considered truly private. Each member automatically gets their own Private vault.

I hope that helps! :chuffed:

• bayoyong
    bayoyong
    Community Member

Thx, John, for explaining the roles. I guess I still have this question...can my parents have their own private vault that they share, but no one else in the family can see? Thx!

• @bayoyong : the Family Organizers will always ultimately have access to all of the vaults. You could make it so that those vaults don't show up for you as the Family Organizer, but you would always have the option of re-adding access to that vault for yourself.

Rick

• bayoyong
    bayoyong
    Community Member

Gotcha. Ok, thx!

• You're welcome.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.