Order of search results

Options
dgbeecher
dgbeecher
Community Member
edited August 2017 in Mac

I have a login titled "Columbia". It is my only favorited login beginning with a C, hence I would assume that searching for "C", or at least "Co", would bring it right to the top of the search results. But no, "Amazon" (also favorited) appears at the top when I search for "C" and "Co". Even though there is no "C" in the name! I assume this happens because ".com" is in the URL, and "Amazon" comes first in the alphabet of all my favorited logins with .com in the URL.

I'm really hoping you can find some way to work around this issue. Since so many websites have .com in the URL, it's not especially useful for this to be brought up in a search for "c", "co", or "com". Maybe you could consider again the suggestions that users have made already regarding prioritizing search results from titles. (See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/42179/apparently-unrelated-top-hit-search-result-doesnt-match-query and https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/28541/search-and-sorting-when-search-all-fields-is-set).

Or maybe you could add an option, beyond "Search Major Fields" (which is what I've enabled) and "Search All Fields", to something like "Search Titles Only". That way users would have absolute control over what gets searched, by choosing what to title their items. Isn't that a wonderful idea?

Thanks for considering it.

Devin

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:search

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

HI @dgbeecher - Thanks for the thoughtful request. This is something we've considered doing for some time now. So what's stopping us? Well, nothing really - but it's a matter of having other issues on our plate as well as the fact that doing this is not as simple as it may seem, as discussed in the second of your links. It's certainly not impossible, nor am I suggesting we won't do it. Only that I've added your vote for the issue, and keep an eye on the updates -- beta is where you'd see a feature like this first, if you're interested.

This discussion has been closed.