Copying the OTP field to clipboard when login in

Wouldn't be smart that instead of trying to come up with endless rules for all those sites on the internet, just copy the OTP value to the clipboard and that you can paste it in the otp field yourself...
Because the nature of how works OTP this isn't perse a security risk.

Because you already have notifications enabled by 0.8.5 you can even pop a message :-).
Maybe it should be a setting, open for discussion on that.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 0.8.5
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

We are currently doing just that with some of our other apps, so it's certainly something we aren't opposed to. That being said, we have a lot of work to do and a plenty of great ideas to improve filling for TOTP and Login items.

One idea in particular (that's super secret right now), should improve TOTP filling immensely. Personally, I'd love to see us make this method work really well. Blindly copying to the clipboard will cause notifications every time you login, even if a TOTP isn't required.

Like everything, and anything, we will make changes and implement the best system we can (even if that means giving up something we think is pretty neat).

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

@beyer this notification is only needed if you do a fill the first time I guess, not on every login.
    Also TOTP is already a seperate field you can filter on, so not problem either.

Som, IMHO; click fill + notification TOTP copied (the site you visit should bring autofocus in place, most I know already have this kind of behavior)

Thanks for sharing a glimp of what you're up to in the near future :smile:

Always open for better solutions, but sometimes KISS is just al we need

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

this notification is only needed if you do a fill the first time I guess, not on every login.

Also TOTP is already a seperate field you can filter on, so not problem either.

Agreed and it's certainly a possible route. The best part of coding, and this project specifically, there's nothing set in stone.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

So much love I give to you guys, and it's awesome you work so closely with the community, that's why I like to provide feedback!

Keep it up! :love:

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We are delighted to have such a dedicated and wonderful community! <3

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.