To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Is there a 100% guarantee that I will NEVER be locked out of sites, devices, etc.? Ever?

Options

How can I be sure that there will never, ever, ever be lock-outs, freezes, glitzches? If I start storing 16 unit randomized pws for every site and one single thing goes wrong and I'm in the middle of nowhere with spotty internet I'm effed. So for now I've got em written down in my little travel bible (copied of course) How can 1pass be better? You ever get into Yahoo authentication issues in Asia? Worse nightmare than getting hacked.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What can go wrong?

Comments

• oldmanlaurence
    oldmanlaurence
    Community Member
    Options

PS Shouldn't happen, is not the same as never happens

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi there @oldmanlaurence :)
    Thanks for writing in. I can fully understand your worry. The thought of being stranded without access to any of my stuff would terrify me. You are mistaken, though, in your thinking that 1Password requires an internet connection. It doesn't. The only thing that requires internet access, as far as I'm aware, is syncing. The data itself is stored encrypted locally. When you enter your Master Password you're not authenticating to a server which then loads the content as you would with, say, logging in to webmail. Rather you are decrypting the data stored on your device. Any changes you make won't be synced to other devices until you get a connection again, but you will have full access to your data.

At least, that is how I understand how it works. I'm sure a member of the AgileBits team can expand, clarify or correct on anything I might have gotten wrong.

I hope that alleviates your concerns :)
    Corey

• oldmanlaurence
    oldmanlaurence
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks-So it works like Keepass? Another question. Will 1Pass remember every log-in of old password sites when I log in normally, or do I have to physically enter in each site fresh (like Keepass) to establish a database? And do I have to physically request to change my passwords at each site to change to a random 1Pass generated PW? I mean we're talking hundreds of logins.

• Hi @oldmanlaurence! Glad to hear you're interested in 1Password. :) That's certainly an interesting question. As you can imagine, we do a lot of testing before new versions of 1Password are released. We have a lot of users who test the betas of our apps, sometimes for months, before the stable versions go out to everyone. They help iron out the wrinkles in the code we write. In the world of software, it's good to remember that bugs will always be present somewhere, whether they're basic interface glitches or the very rare database issue. It's very, very rare to see data lost. If it does happen, it's often one or two items which weren't synced due to the Master Password for the account not being correct.

The key to using 1Password happily for an indefinite period of time is keeping a copy of your Secret Key and Master Password somewhere safe. Practice your Master Password at least once a week. There's nothing we can do to help you if you lose it. You can also use a family account and invite someone else to your family so they can recover your Secret Key and Master Password if you need them to down the road.

Another question. Will 1Pass remember every log-in of old password sites when I log in normally, or do I have to physically enter in each site fresh (like Keepass) to establish a database? And do I have to physically request to change my passwords at each site to change to a random 1Pass generated PW? I mean we're talking hundreds of logins.

Yep! You just need to install the 1Password extension in your browser and it will ask to save a Login item for each website you sign in to if there isn't one already. :) Then you can use that saved username and password to sign in next time you visit the site. Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.