To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Sign-up and Secret Key issue

Options
expression
expression
Community Member

Hello. I just signed up for 1password yesterday. I got my welcome email. This morning I'm trying to access my account and am being asked for a SECRET KEY. I don't remember being given a SECRET KEY. I looked at your retrieval methods and nothing works for me. Please note that I'm a developer and I empty my cache 5 times per hour...so no traces there. What can I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi @expression,

Are you signed into 1Password via any of the native 1Password apps? If so, they retain the Secret Key, and you can obtain it from the app after unlocking using your Master Password.

Did you print an Emergency Kit after creating the account? This document would also contain the Secret Key.

If ultimately you no longer have access to the Secret Key that is an unrecoverable situation. We can assist you in deleting the account, and you can sign up for a new one.

Please let us know what you find.

Ben

ref: UBY-21292-321

• expression
    expression
    Community Member
    Options

No, so far I have not downloaded us used the App

I did not print and Emergency kit, not remember being asked to do so during the sign up.

If it's true that this is the end of the line...I cannot use your services. We were going to use this to store all of our client usernames and passwords (we are a webdev company). But if something like losing a key means that all my data is lost....that just not viable.

• @expression,

AgileBits never has access to either your Master Password or your Secret Key, and as such we cannot recover those items for you. It is possible for administrators within your organization to assist fellow team members with recovery, though. You can read about that here:

Recover accounts for family or team members

If you only have one administrator on an account, and they are the one locked out, then nothing can be done.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.