How does my son access his vault on our family computer?

emaitch
emaitch
Community Member

We're using a family Mac Mini computer (OS X 10.12.4) with one account. I want my son to be able to open the 1Password app and log into his vault using his password, or use the 1Password extension in Safari. However, I don't see how he can enter his email address to access his vault. Is this not possible? How should he access his vault without my having to log in and open the master account, which would give him access to my private vault?

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@emaitch: 1Password Families includes everything for up to 5 family members in the base price, and there are two ways to accomplish what you're trying to do:

1. The best way to go would be to create a user account for him on that Mac. This will not only give him his own 1Password setup, but also everything else — Safari bookmarks, iTunes library, etc. This is important for security, and also because frankly it can cause a bit of disharmony when multiple family members are trying to customize things using the same account. Then he can use his own Master Password to unlock 1Password.
    2. Setup another browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera) for him to use to login and access his data through 1Password.com. That way you can still have your own setup in the 1Password app while sharing a macOS user account.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

P.S: Keep in mind that any local vaults you setup (such as the one syncing with iCloud) will be separate from your 1Password.com account and not automatically backed up or available on all your devices.

• emaitch
    emaitch
    Community Member

Good advice. Thanks @brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! We're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.