To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Getting new phone- Able to gain entry w/ Touch ID; Unable to find password- Import options?

Options
kulvette
kulvette
Community Member

I am moving to a new iOS device this week and don't want to lose the gobs of data I have in the app. I have been a 1Password customer for about 18 months, and I use it daily.

Currently, I am able to gain entry into my 1Password app using Touch ID, however when attempting to access it from windows, or other devices, it is not accepting the last password I have written down. (I am not receiving a hint like others have mentioned in other discussions.)

I know we cannot reset the password. But, is there a way to export the info I currently have, and then start from scratch and import the extracted data?

I have Dropbox, and have created a backup, but I am not so sure that will help me in this situation.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 10.3.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @kulvette :)
    Sorry for the trouble. Unfortunately, without your master password there is no way that I know of to export any of your data as your master password is the only way to decrypt your 1Password data and, as such, is required for any sort of export or import actions.

Sorry if that isn't the answer you were looking for.

• kulvette
    kulvette
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any way to find out the password requirements? This may help me know what I changed it to.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

There aren't specific password requirements for your master password as far as I know. Try some of the steps here and see if it helps. :)

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kulvette,

As Corey mentioned, for security reasons there is no way to reset the master password if you forget it. Hopefully, however, the link Corey shared will help you remember the password, but even if you won't not able to recover it after reading the article, there are a couple of things you could try since you still have access to your data via Touch ID:

• If you also have access to your data on a desktop machine, you could create a new local vault there, with its own master password, and transfer the contents of your Primary vault in this new vault;
    • If you can only use your iOS device, where you cannot create new vaults unless you are using a 1Password.com account, you can sign up for a new account, add it to the app and move your items from your Primary vault to your new Personal/Private vault in the account.

So perhaps not all hope is lost. Let us know how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.