iOS 11 Beta 1 - Copy / Paste into App

dougrs
dougrs
Community Member

I'm having problems coping / pasting from 1Password into apps. I think this is an iOS 11 bug but want to share here incase others have a fix:

1. Open 1Password and locate the username/password for an app (like Amazon or Citibank)
  2. Copy the password to the iOS clipboard
  3. Switch to the app (Amazon or Citibank)
  4. Past the password into the password field

Expected action: the password pastes into the password field
Actual action: nothing pastes into the app password field

The password will paste into other apps like Notes.

1Password Version: 6.7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS Public Beta 11
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

@dougrs: I'm not sure this sounds like an iOS 11 bug if it works with some apps. It's possible, but it may be that some 3rd party apps need a minor change to allow pasting in iOS 11. Are you having the issue in any Apple apps, or only those from 3rd party developers? There may be a pattern.

ref: OPI-4114

• sman591
    sman591
    Community Member

@brenty I just tried to do this for pasting in a password to a WiFi network after upgrading to the public release of iOS 11. It uses 802.11x, so this is one with the Username/Password combo views.

I can copy my password out of the 1Password iOS app, but when I go to paste it into the "Password" field, nothing happens. The black "Paste" popup appears and I tap on it, but nothing gets pasted.

I can still paste into other apps such as Messages, but not on this login view.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sman591: I couldn't tell you why this happens in some cases. Perhaps some apps just need to be updated to use the latest APIs that Apple's introduced for Drag and Drop support. But if you're able to paste into Notes just fine (I am, and the original poster and others have reported this as well), that means that 1Password is copying just fine and the problem is with the destination. In that case there isn't anything we can do on our end, but if you're seeing something different please let us know!

• sman591
    sman591
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

@brenty That's the thing that's strange, though - this is the native Settings app for entering a WiFi username/password combination.

However, I did just confirm that I also can't copy text from an iMessage and paste into the login form, so this has to be something with iOS and not just 1Password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's the thing that's strange, though - this is the native Settings app for entering a WiFi username/password combination.

@sman591: Yeah totally. That's what I thought, but I've always had trouble pasting there. I swear it used to work, but can't say when. It doesn't seem like it's designed for that, as the prompt is dismissed when switching apps. A bit of a pain, really...

However, I did just confirm that I also can't copy text from an iMessage and paste into the login form, so this has to be something with iOS and not just 1Password

Thanks for letting me know! That sucks, but I did want to be sure there wasn't something else we were missing here. :unamused:

• vfiore
    vfiore
    Community Member

I found the same behavior (not pasting) with the latest 1password in mac osx 14 (mac book air) as well as android (huawei Psmart), for a couple of apps (TrueFire, enjoy). I suppose it must be the apps' fault. Luckily, paste works in the apple App store, which asks every for the pwd every time...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vfiore: While this discussion is about 1Password for iOS, regardless of the platform, we don't have control over whether apps allow pasting. I'd encourage you to reach out to those apps' developers to ask them to allow that, or, better yet, add support for the Autofill capabilities built into the OS. Otherwise they're just encouraging all of their users to use weak passwords since they will need to remember and type them themselves. :(

• vfiore
    vfiore
    Community Member

you're quite right. and I noticed that many sites as well (especially govt and such) will force you to choose short-ish passwords or limit the alphabets you can employ. sigh.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's not what I would call "common" in general, but certainly there's a contingent out there that still do this. Be strong. :(

This discussion has been closed.