Shortcomings in 1Password 6 for Windows

I have just taken the leap from 1Password 4 (with a Family account) and have found a number of things that are missing or less good than they used to be. Hopefully they can be added to the development backlog :)

Windows client:
1. There is no way to Move an item from one vault to another. I can copy, but not move, which is pretty tedious as I need to go back and delete the duplicate manually.
2. After deleting an item (Move to Trash), it forgets the context of where I was. For example, if I'm looking at just logins, it changes the view to All items and shows them from the very top. This makes it very tedious to do a lot of cleaning up.
3. Using Move to Trash shows a pop-up menu to confirm. I'd like to have an option to disable that.
4. (Even better, I'd love universal undo. Being able to undo edit/move/trash operations is a much smoother user experience than having to confirm. Occasionally, muscle memory makes me confirm, only to regret it seconds later... Yes, this would be a new feature :)
5. If I click on an item in Trash, there is no indication that it's actually in Trash - it still shows as in the vault (which I guess is true, just not the whole truth)
6. Searching is really, really slow. When typing into the search field, it performs an inefficient incremental search, and it feels like the app needs to complete each search before it shows the next letter and does a new search. On my powerful i7 4770K Windows 10 PC, it easily takes 1Password 6 two whole seconds to do a single-letter search of just 1,000 or so items.
7. There is no option to search just key fields like in 1P v4 - it always searches Everything. This probably contributes to it being very slow.
8. Clearing the search field to show all items also easily takes a second or two. Nearly an eternity.
9. When I look at a particular item that has a long URL, the URL is truncated and shows ... to indicate that it's not all shown. I would like to either word-wrap the URL, or have the full URL show up on mouse-over.
10. I miss the more compact view of 1Password v4, where I can see twice as many entries vertically, see key attributes at a glance, and see key things like password strength and modified date.
12. There used to be a Weak and a Duplicated Passwords view that I used to manage my passwords. Missing.
13. When I click New Item, I'd like it to default to the Category I currently have highlighted. If I show All items, of course show the drop-down, but if I'm trying to manage a particular category of items, repeated use of the long drop-down adds friction to the process of doing it.
14. The Categories/Tags view is very monochromatic. Could we get the more colourful (and therefore more easily distinguishable) icons back, please?
15. None of the icons for my software licences made it across, they all look the same. How do I get these back?
16. When adding a new login, please can I have the ability to use a default username? I use the same one (my email address) for 90% of all of my logins, after all.
17. When showing a password, please use a monotype serifed font like Courier. Showing the password in the same font as the rest of the UI makes the passwords hard to read, and it's impossible to distinguish between I and l, for example. The Large Type view helps, but perhaps that should be the default as there is less competition for screen space than on a phone.

The web client does allow me to move items between vaults and search is quite a bit faster, so I sometimes use that as a workaround. It's still not ideal as it does not do multi-select, for example.

Thanks for your time,
Allan

1Password Version: 6.5.401d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 v1607, build 14393.1066
Sync Type: Family acct

Comments

• amertner
    amertner
    Community Member

Maybe someone from the Agilebits team would care to comment? Thanks in advance!

• Holy thorough feedback, Batman!

That's an amazingly detailed list, @amertner. Thank you for caring enough about 1Password to write that up :)
    So… let's dive in!

1. There is no way to Move an item from one vault to another. I can copy, but not move, which is pretty tedious as I need to go back and delete the duplicate manually.

Known bug. Will be fixed.

1. After deleting an item (Move to Trash), it forgets the context of where I was. For example, if I'm looking at just logins, it changes the view to All items and shows them from the very top. This makes it very tedious to do a lot of cleaning up.

We're aware of the way a refresh after a move action does that.

1. Using Move to Trash shows a pop-up menu to confirm. I'd like to have an option to disable that.
    2. (Even better, I'd love universal undo. Being able to undo edit/move/trash operations is a much smoother user experience than having to confirm. Occasionally, muscle memory makes me confirm, only to regret it seconds later... Yes, this would be a new feature :)

On our list.

1. If I click on an item in Trash, there is no indication that it's actually in Trash - it still shows as in the vault (which I guess is true, just not the whole truth)

That's interesting but you need to consciously select the Trash in order to see the items in it. I'm not sure how big the benefit is there.

1. Searching is really, really slow. When typing into the search field, it performs an inefficient incremental search, and it feels like the app needs to complete each search before it shows the next letter and does a new search. On my powerful i7 4770K Windows 10 PC, it easily takes 1Password 6 two whole seconds to do a single-letter search of just 1,000 or so items.
    2. There is no option to search just key fields like in 1P v4 - it always searches Everything. This probably contributes to it being very slow.
    3. Clearing the search field to show all items also easily takes a second or two. Nearly an eternity.

That is really curious. I have over 1200 items in my 1Password 6 database and search is almost instantaneous. I'd love to know what is happening for you there. Is the local vault still loaded or did you remove it from 1Password 6 once you transferred the data to the account?

The database structure in 1Password 6 is so heavily optimised that this doesn't make any real difference if you only search one field or all fields. We are planning to improve the search feature some more in the future to make it more granular.

Clearing the search field is also instantaneous.

I'd like to ask you to create a riagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78035/shortcomings-in-1password-6-for-windows#latest
    • Your forum username: amertner

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

1. When I look at a particular item that has a long URL, the URL is truncated and shows ... to indicate that it's not all shown. I would like to either word-wrap the URL, or have the full URL show up on mouse-over.

Interesting. We'll discuss this in the team.

1. I miss the more compact view of 1Password v4, where I can see twice as many entries vertically, see key attributes at a glance, and see key things like password strength and modified date.

We are going to improve the view options in the future, including in the 1Password mini. I must ask for patience.

1. There used to be a Weak and a Duplicated Passwords view that I used to manage my passwords. Missing.

That's part of the Security Audit feature that's not yet fully implemented in 1Password 6. Coming. We can't wait for it ourselves.

1. When I click New Item, I'd like it to default to the Category I currently have highlighted. If I show All items, of course show the drop-down, but if I'm trying to manage a particular category of items, repeated use of the long drop-down adds friction to the process of doing it.

I can see how that would be useful. We'll discuss it.

1. The Categories/Tags view is very monochromatic. Could we get the more colourful (and therefore more easily distinguishable) icons back, please?

Not sure about that but I'll run it by our designers.

1. None of the icons for my software licences made it across, they all look the same. How do I get these back?

1Password 6 doesn't yet have support for rich or custom icons. It will come.

1. When adding a new login, please can I have the ability to use a default username? I use the same one (my email address) for 90% of all of my logins, after all.

Not sure we'd want to implement something like this but it can be useful, I will give you that.

1. When showing a password, please use a monotype serifed font like Courier. Showing the password in the same font as the rest of the UI makes the passwords hard to read, and it's impossible to distinguish between I and l, for example. The Large Type view helps, but perhaps that should be the default as there is less competition for screen space than on a phone.

Yup, on our list.

1. The web client does allow me to move items between vaults and search is quite a bit faster, so I sometimes use that as a workaround. It's still not ideal as it does not do multi-select, for example.

True. That's something we're looking into.

Hey, if you have more feedback, please keep it coming! We love hearing from our customers.

Cheers,

Alex

• amertner
    amertner
    Community Member

Thank you for replying! I work in software so I know how big your backlog is likely to be, and I appreciate the effort you are making. :)

The support ID for the slow search is #YIX-13374-454.

Note that the request for having a default username is more important on mobile than in Windows. In Windows, I can type super quickly and it auto-fills it most of the time anyway - but if I have to create a new entry on mobile (which is increasingly common), it's always very tedious.

I'll post again when I have collected a new batch of feedback :)
    Allan

• Hey Allan,

Thanks for the diagnostics report. We're going to take a close look at it and will get back to you via email.

Cheers,

Alex

ref: YIX-13374-454

• briangoebel
    briangoebel
    Community Member

After being a longtime user of 1Password 4 and the opvault format, I recently made the jump to version 6...and although there are many performance improvements, I miss some of the additional features and granularity I had with version 4.

• Primarily, I'm frustrated that I can no longer utilize the detailed folder structure I had in place for where my 1200+ vault entries were stored. The newer 'tags' format makes it harder to find what I need and I do not like the fact that I cannot open or collapse the tags as needed.
    • Also, I want the ability to directly add a new entry into a particular tag, instead of manually being forced to remember to list the appropriate tag during creation. For one, its too easy to misspell something or forget to capitalize exactly as the current tag is spelled.
    • Furthermore, there should at least be a drop down during vault item creation with the current tag/folder structure to easily add to the proper place during creation instead of relying upon manual entry.

Please keep improving Version 6 for Windows!

Thanks!
    Brian

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@briangoebel: Thanks for getting in touch! Glad to hear you're enjoying the benefits of the new app, and the constructive feedback is very welcome! :)

Primarily, I'm frustrated that I can no longer utilize the detailed folder structure I had in place for where my 1200+ vault entries were stored. The newer 'tags' format makes it harder to find what I need and I do not like the fact that I cannot open or collapse the tags as needed.

Sorry to hear that. We don't have any plans to go back to using folders, as the sync experience is very important to us and our customers, and folders are a bag of hurt in that regard. You can find anything you take using search and the sidebar though, and we'll be adding more tools to make managing and working with them even easier. If you have specific suggestions be sure to let us know!

Also, I want the ability to directly add a new entry into a particular tag, instead of manually being forced to remember to list the appropriate tag during creation. For one, its too easy to misspell something or forget to capitalize exactly as the current tag is spelled.

Ah, yep. That's a great quality of life improvement. It sounds like adding autocomplete and drag and drop would help. Is that correct?

Furthermore, there should at least be a drop down during vault item creation with the current tag/folder structure to easily add to the proper place during creation instead of relying upon manual entry.

I'm not sure we want to resort to dropdowns (many users have way too many tags for that to be usable), but it's something we can consider.

Please keep improving Version 6 for Windows!

I can't promise a lot on specifics and time frames, but I can guarantee you we're not slowing down on development. We've come a long way in the first year of this brand new app, and there's a lot more to come! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.