Organizing vaults with Family Account

agogley
agogley
Community Member

I just signed up for the family membership. I have work passwords I don't want to share with anybody. I have passwords I want to share with my wife but not the kids. I have passwords I want to share with the entire family. My wife has her own work passwords that nobody else should have access too. In addition, my kids have passwords to their accounts I want to have access to. How do you suggest I arrange and manage the vaults?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @agogley,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

I'd be happy to offer some suggestions, but there is no "right answer" here. There are a number of ways you could potentially accomplish what you've outlined as your requirements.

I have work passwords I don't want to share with anybody.

If you and your wife have work passwords that are not part of a 1Password Teams account I'd recommend keeping them in each of your respective private vaults.

I have passwords I want to share with my wife but not the kids.

You can create a vault and give only yourself and your wife access, excluding the kids

I have passwords I want to share with the entire family.

The default "Shared" vault is perfect for this. Every family member by default has access to this vault.

In addition, my kids have passwords to their accounts I want to have access to.

Just to clarify: each kid would have passwords that should be shared between you and the respective kid, but no one else? If so you'd need to create a "Me+Kid" vault for each kid, and set the permissions on it appropriately.

This guide may be helpful:

Share passwords with your family - 1Password Support

Also: we'd normally recommend making your wife a family organizer as well, for recovery purposes. That way if you every forget your Master Password your whole family isn't without an organizer:

About family organizers in 1Password Families - 1Password Support

Even if your wife will not routinely be performing administrative functions for the family it is generally wise to have at least two organizers on every account, unless impractical.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• agogley
    agogley
    Community Member

Great, thanks.

So I will setup myself and my wife as a family organizer. I will setup a shared family vault for those passwords where everyone can have access. If I have any passwords that the kids need but don't want to share with other kids (as an example) then I would setup a vault for each of them and make permissions for them, myself, and my wife to access.

Can I have multiple personal vaults? For example, can I have a vault that is just work and is private?

If I have a family account and both my wife and I have family organizer status, then can she setup her own private vaults? what about the kids?

thanks for all the help, I'm anxious to get started.

• agogley
    agogley
    Community Member

let me know.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Can I have multiple personal vaults? For example, can I have a vault that is just work and is private?

@agogley: You can create another vault and only give yourself access to it. Only a Private vault cannot be shared with others.

If I have a family account and both my wife and I have family organizer status, then can she setup her own private vaults? what about the kids?

Each family member automatically has a Private vault. This cannot be changed. Any other vaults can be shared with some, all, or no other family members.

• It is worth noting however that while you can specify that only you have access to a vault that does not prevent another organizer from adding themselves or another family member to that vault. As such there is a level of trust required. What I'm getting at here is that you could add yourself to any vaults your wife has access to, other than her Private vault, and vice versa. As Brenty mentioned it is not possible to share a Private vault, but all other vaults would be subject to this. This is a situation that we're evaluating, but that is the current state of things.

Ben

• Kimmo
    Kimmo
    Community Member

With Travel Mode it would be useful to have a second Personal Vault, so that items that should not be shared with anyone else in the family could still be accessed while traveling.

• We are considering how/if we could make it possible for family members to create additional vaults that can never be accessed by anyone but the creator. We do not have a solution for this at this point.

Ben

• Bruce_Ramsey
    Bruce_Ramsey
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    This is the question I'm seeking a clear answer to. For legal reasons, my wife's passwords must NEVER be accessible to me (the original 1PW installer). And I have medico-legal password-protected logins that she must NEVER have access to. Not a trust thing (I trust her indeed), but to legally protect each other if someone's medical data was accessed through either of our computers.
    From my reading of the forums so far, this is not clear

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi @Bruce_Ramsey
    Each member of a family plan is given a vault called "Personal". That vault is theirs and theirs alone. Nobody except the respective family member can access their Personal vault and there is no possible way to give access to a Personal vault to anyone else. If there are things that you need to keep private and don't want anyone having access to, put them in your Personal vault and nobody but you will ever have access to them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bruce_Ramsey: And just to further clarify, while you can perform account recovery for her as the account Organizer, that just allows her to setup a new Master Password and Secret Key if she forgets/loses them. It doesn't give you access to her data. The only way you could potentially access it is if she places it in a vault other than her own Personal/Private vault — for example, a shared vault that you have access to or can grant yourself access to: none of this is possible with the Personal/Private vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.