Are generated passwords failsafe?

Options
RBT
RBT
Community Member

So far I have not used 1Password's password generation feature because I am afraid I might change my bank login to a generated password and then make a mistake in asking or allowing 1Password to save the new password. I'm afraid the next time I try to log in to my bank only my old password will be in my vault or in my backups and I will have no way to recover the new generated password.

Is this a valid fear? Is there any way I could make a mistake in saving, or not saving, a new generated password so that it would not be in my vault or in my backups?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hello @RBT,

Thanks for stopping by and asking such a great question!

You've posted in the Mac section of our Support Forum, but didn't include what version of 1Password you're currently using. I'll base my answer off of 1Password for Mac 6, and you can let us know if you're running something different.

When you use the Secure Password Generator on the Mac, we automatically create a Password Item within the vault you have configured as your default for saving. This is done immediately after you fill or copy the generated password, and provides you with a safety net if 1Password doesn't prompt you to update your Login Item. I made a quick clip to show you this feature in action.

Additionally, we have a support an article that outlines the steps to find and save a generated password:

If you used the password generator and can't find the password to sign in

Following this process should only be necessary if 1Password doesn't prompt you to update your existing Login item, or if you choose not to when prompted.

I hope that helps quell your concerns, but please let us know if you have additional questions.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.