Android functionality vs. iOS functionality

55208wcgk
55208wcgk
Community Member

Good day,

I'm a long time 1PW user. I have it running on a Windows 10 PC, iPhone & iPad. I'm looking at changing my iPhone to the new Samsung Note 8 & would like some clarification, please:

1. Is the application functionality / feature set the same on the Android platform as it is on the iOS platform?
  2. The same as on my Windows 10 PC?
  3. I'm currently running version 4.6.2.626 on my PC & 6.8.2 (682001) on my iPhone.
  4. Can I sync the Android version to the local vault on my PC?

In short, will I be able to reproduce my iOS experience on the Note 8 & have the same interoperability with my Windows 10 PC.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @55208wcgk. Thanks for reaching out! 1Password is developed natively for each platform, so you won't have the same experience from one platform to the next. Further, 1Password has been around a lot longer on iOS than it has on Android, so we've had more time to add features on iOS. Basic functionality is the same. You'll have access to the same categories. But there are differences between the operating systems that make features like filling a little different between them.

I recommend installing 1Password from the Play Store and giving it a trial run. It's free for 30 days, so you'll be able to try it out with full functionality. You will indeed also be able to sync your data, using either Dropbox or a WLAN server. Or if you like, you can upgrade to 1Password 6 for Windows and switch to a 1Password account, where your data will sync automatically. There are additional perks to 1Password accounts, which you might also like if you want to try it out.

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member

Thanks, Peri. A few more questions:

1 - I have folders nested within folders - a directory hierarchy - on my 1PW 4 PC. When I sync this to my iPhone I see that structure. If I were to replace my iPhone with an Android phone - looking at a Samsung Note 8 - will I still see that structure?

2 - I have Pro features enabled on my iPhone. If I switch to Android I'll obviously no longer be using that feature. Can I in turn enable it on the Android phone or would I have to purchase it again?

3 - You say "1Password has been around a lot longer on iOS than it has on Android, so we've had more time to add features on iOS. Basic functionality is the same. You'll have access to the same categories. But there are differences between the operating systems that make features like filling a little different between them." Can you elaborate on exactly does that means? I haven't yet purchased the Note 8 so I have no way to see what the differences are & I'm not seeing anything on your site, other than a few how-to articles, on what features I would be giving up.

4 - Any updates on when 1PW 6 will be supporting local vaults?

Thanks again for the help, Peri

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1 - I have folders nested within folders - a directory hierarchy - on my 1PW 4 PC. When I sync this to my iPhone I see that structure. If I were to replace my iPhone with an Android phone - looking at a Samsung Note 8 - will I still see that structure?

@55208wcgk: If you mean does 1Password for Android support folders, the answer is yes for local vaults. 1Password.com uses tags instead.

2 - I have Pro features enabled on my iPhone. If I switch to Android I'll obviously no longer be using that feature. Can I in turn enable it on the Android phone or would I have to purchase it again?

You don't have to purchase 1Password for Android again, but 1Password for iOS is separate. While you can get all of the apps with a 1Password.com membership, when purchasing the standalone apps, each is a separate purchase.

3 - You say "1Password has been around a lot longer on iOS than it has on Android, so we've had more time to add features on iOS. Basic functionality is the same. You'll have access to the same categories. But there are differences between the operating systems that make features like filling a little different between them." Can you elaborate on exactly does that means? I haven't yet purchased the Note 8 so I have no way to see what the differences are & I'm not seeing anything on your site, other than a few how-to articles, on what features I would be giving up.

Oh, that's a fantastic question! Filling is indeed different. In the past (iOS 7 and earlier?) there was no filling mechanism for 1Password on iOS apart from the built-in 1Browser. So, for example, if you wanted to login to a site in Safari, you'd have to copy and paste. That changed when Apple introduced the iOS extension APIs, and we created the 1Password iOS extension, which can be used in Safari and other apps that choose to support it.

This is pretty awesome, but Google's new initiatives this year could prove even more powerful as apps adopt OpenYOLO (supported back to Android 4.1) and Automatic Filling (Android 8 only). Very few apps support these right now, but once an app developer adds support 1Password can fill there. So it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario currently, but we've released the rooster and hopefully as adoption increases we'll have a great support for easy filling on Android as well.

Less exciting but still incredibly useful, the 1Password Keyboard can work in almost any other scenario where you might want to fill login credentials. Credit Card and Identity filling are not supported, but it's something we'd like to add in the future.

4 - Any updates on when 1PW 6 will be supporting local vaults?

All versions of 1Password 6 support local vaults except the new Windows app, as this was built for 1Password.com accounts. And we've already announced that 1Password 7 will support local vaults. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member

Thanks for the update, Brently. Some points of clarification:

2 - So if I'm NOT using a 1PW.com membership I need to purchase both a new standalone copy for my Android phone as well as the Pro option? I can't transfer the iOS license even though I won't be using it any longer?

3 - My new phone, Samsung Note 8, will come with Android 7x, not 8x. What I'm reading is that that means I will not have an autofill capability. If so, can I cut & paste login data into a webpage or will I have to manually type it, which will be a major pain as my user names & PWs are pretty garbled?

3a - In that same vain, do you have an Android user manual I can download? I'm not seeing one online & I'm still not getting a clear picture of what differences I will see in using an Android version versus iOS instance.

4 - Any sense when 1PW 7 will be released? I won't go into it as it appears the desire for local vaults has pretty strong support, including with me, but am curious.

Thanks again for the feedback. Appreciate it.

• @55208wcgk

2 - So if I'm NOT using a 1PW.com membership I need to purchase both a new standalone copy for my Android phone as well as the Pro option? I can't transfer the iOS license even though I won't be using it any longer?

1Password is licensed separately on mobile platforms, so your purchase of Pro features on iOS won't transfer over to Android. Because of how the Play Store is designed, we are not able to bundle the premium features on Android with 1Password on other platforms. The in-app purchase is handled directly through the Play Store and is linked to your Google account. Likewise, the iOS purchase is handled through Apple and linked to your Apple ID. Unfortunately, since the sales are handled through Google and Apple respectively, we are unable to transfer licenses. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If your iOS license was purchased within the last 90 days, however, you may be able to get a refund through Apple. https://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/

The only way to unlock 1Password on all platforms is with a membership, which covers all of your devices as well as major upgrades.

3 - My new phone, Samsung Note 8, will come with Android 7x, not 8x. What I'm reading is that that means I will not have an autofill capability. If so, can I cut & paste login data into a webpage or will I have to manually type it, which will be a major pain as my user names & PWs are pretty garbled?

There are a couple other ways to fill in earlier versions of Android. You can either fill using the custom keyboard, or the built-in 1Browser. There's also something called Open YOLO which will be used for filling. Open YOLO requires app developers to support it, though, so it will take some time before you notice it popping up in your various apps.

3a - In that same vain, do you have an Android user manual I can download? I'm not seeing one online & I'm still not getting a clear picture of what differences I will see in using an Android version versus iOS instance.

We don't have one in a downloadable format, but you can find our Getting Started guide here:
    https://support.1password.com/getting-started-android/

4 - Any sense when 1PW 7 will be released? I won't go into it as it appears the desire for local vaults has pretty strong support, including with me, but am curious.

No. We try not to make promises regarding unreleased versions as a matter of policy. Best laid plans and all that. We're still actively developing 1Password 6 at the moment.

• geoffball
    geoffball
    Community Member

Having recently switched from iOS to Android after many years, I was disappointed with the capabilities of 1Password on Android. You'll find most things are the same, but the dealbreaker for me is adding a new login. Unlike on iOS, there's no easy way to add a login on Android. If I'm at a new site where I want to create a login, I have to leave Chrome, open 1Password, authenticate myself, open the sidebar, switch to Categories, click the +, select the category, type the name, type a username (which, since it's not tied to browser, I can't get confirm will even be my login), generate a password, type the url (or copy it earlier and paste it in), save, switch back to Chrome, switch to the 1Password keyboard, long press the 1password icon, authenticate, click browse logins, search for the login I just made, tap the username field, fill username, and fill password.

If the username is already taken or the password doesn't meet specifications, add even more steps as you alternate between apps and try to fix it.

Filling a username and password you've already created isn't nearly as bad, but it involves switching keyboards and isn't as seamless as you'll find it was on iOS.

The upcoming version of Android (Oreo) is supposed to address this. Let's hope, because unless I'm totally missing something, 1Password is very frustrating to use on Android compared to iOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@geoffball: Yep. Until just last month Android didn't support anything like the iOS extension framework, so the only option was manually creating Logins. With the introduction of Google's new OpenYOLO (4.1 and up) and Automatic Filling APIs (requires 8.0) that should change in time as 3rd party app developers adopt these technologies. 1Password for Android is already prepared, so the capabilities are there to offer an even more streamlined saving and filling experience for Android users. Not a lot of apps support this yet, but the sky's the limit. :)

This discussion has been closed.