Upgraded to Series 3 no items on Watch

brianysf
brianysf
Community Member

After restoring to my new watch from the old 1passwore displays "Add items from 1password on iPhone. Requires Apple Watch Passcode."

I have a passcode set on the watch. I tried removing the app from the watch and reinstalling and that didn't work. Tried disabling. Tried adding and removing items. also tried restarting watch. Help!

Running iOS 11, Watch OS 4. App 6.9

Comments

• brianysf
    brianysf
    Community Member

Here's how I solved my issue:

1. Remove app from Watch
    2. Search for Apple Watch tag in 1pasaword and 'Remove from Apple Watch' while noting each
    3. Disable Apple Watch in 1password on iPhone
    4. Reinstall app on Watch
    5. Enable Apple Watch in 1password on iPhone
    6. Go to each item from step 2 and 'Add to Apple Watch'
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up! I'm sorry you ran into trouble, but Im glad to hear you were able to get it sorted out by installing a fresh copy of the app. I used to have to do that a lot more with my watch on previous versions, but it's been much smoother in watchOS 3 and 4 (I did have a bit of a time after changing phones though...), so hopefully you won't encounter any further issues. Cheers! :)

• hihuq
    hihuq
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks for posting your solution @brianysf.

• rskoller
    rskoller
    Community Member

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I went through every step, but I'm still getting the "Add items from 1password on iPhone. Requires Apple Watch Passcode" message. I have a passcode on my watch, and although I have it set to unlock when I unlock my phone, I manually entered the passcode, but it still didn't work. I also have an Apple Watch 3. Any thoughts on how I can get this to work?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rskoller: Without more details it's hard to say. Having "Unlock with iPhone" set isn't a problem. It's what I use and recommend. Are you running watchOS 4 (I'm guessing the 3rd generation ships with that, but I don't have one myself to confirm)? When you have 1Password open on your Apple Watch, have you tried opening 1Password on your iPhone and adding an item to it? Definitely restart the watch too, as I've had apps hang up there, especially after setup/install. Let me know what you find!

• rskoller
    rskoller
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks for the reply. I am running watchOS 4. I'm using 1Password on an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 11. I tried adding an item with 1Password open on the Watch, but it didn't work. I also tried restarting the Watch, but that too didn't work. Any other thoughts? If there's any other info you need, let me know.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@rskoller: Unfortunately there isn't a lot of diagnostic information we can get from the watch, but there are definitely some other things you can try. I realize you've done some of this already, but I've found through trial and error and experience that the order can make a difference. If you're still having trouble, please do the following:

1. Connect both the Apple Watch and iPhone to power
    2. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, scroll down to 1Password, and set "Show on Apple Watch" to the off position
    3. Open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Apple Watch and set "Enable Apple Watch" to the off position
    4. Wait for it to stop saying "Uninstalling..." (this may never happen, but give it 5 minutes and then move on)
    5. View the apps on your actual Watch and if it is gone (in some cases, even those that completed "Uninstalling..." still show up)
    6. If it's still shown there, hold your finger on it and then tap the (x) (this may not work either)*
    7. Regardless, hold the pill-shaped Side Button on the Watch and Power Off (you'll need to disconnect the power temporarily to do this)
    8. Then, after backing up any local vaults and ensuring you know the Master Password, uninstall 1Password for iOS from your iPhone, hold the iPhone's Lock Button, and Slide to Power Off
    9. Power on both the Apple Watch and iPhone
    10. Verify that 1Password is not shown on the Apple Watch, that this is reflected in the Watch app on the iPhone as well (if not, go back to the beginning), and that 1Password is not shown on the iPhone either
    11. Install a fresh copy of 1Password on the iPhone, and in 1Password Settings set "Enable Apple Watch" to on
    12. In Watch on the iPhone, go to 1Password and set "Show on Apple Watch" to on
    13. Wait for the app to finish Installing...
    14. Add a new item to Apple Watch by toggling the option in its details.

I had better luck with the upgrade to a new iPhone and watchOS 4 this time around, perhaps because installing 1Password was one of the last things I did (things were pretty hung up there for a while while everything transferred, so I opted to wait), or perhaps simply because of improvements in the latest OS.

Let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• rskoller
    rskoller
    Community Member

Thanks. I'll have to wait until I have enough time to do this. The only step you haven't listed is to reinstall 1Password on the phone, but of course I'll do that. Hopefully this works.

• rskoller
    rskoller
    Community Member

It worked! I even edited one of the entries and it immediately synced it. Thanks so much for your help, this is great!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

Thanks. I'll have to wait until I have enough time to do this. The only step you haven't listed is to reinstall 1Password on the phone, but of course I'll do that. Hopefully this works.

@rskoller: Sorry for the confusion there. I didn't list installing 1Password for iOS as one of the steps in that list since it didn't include uninstalling it, only as the optional bit at the end about removing/reinstalling it since for most folks these additional steps were not necessary. Probably has nothing at all to do with the watch, but simply the app was damaged in those cases.

It worked! I even edited one of the entries and it immediately synced it. Thanks so much for your help, this is great!

You're totally welcome! Thanks for letting me know that did the trick for you. Sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• rskoller
    rskoller
    Community Member

I think uninstalling and reinstalling the 1Password iOS app may have been the main driver of it working since I had already done all the other steps. If someone else has this issue, you may want to include it as a mandatory step. I thought in step 8 where it says "uninstall 1Password from the iPhone" it meant to delete the iOS app and so that's why I did. In any event, all is good!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rskoller: Ah, that's a good point. I should have put that together while writing that last reply. Thank you for pointing that out! I'll make some edits there to make things clearer.

This discussion has been closed.