Issue filling in three fields on payworks.ca

I've tried following the instructions for saving a manual login. Basically
1. Open login window (note that it's on the homepage, not a separate window) -
2. Fill in all three fields
3. Use 1password mini - click the settings icon, and select 'save new login' button.

It saves the username and password just fine but misses the customer id field. That field (along with dozens of others) are saved in the webform details section, but it won't fill that field in automatically when I go back to the site.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6 (15G1611)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Greetings @emeryamiller,

Yup, something isn't quite right there. I don't know why yet but 1Password fails to pick the correct filling strategy and so makes a mess of it. Thankfully I've found a way of ensuring 1Password properly fills.

Below you're going to see a bunch of formatted text. I would like you to select it and copy it so that it is sitting in the macOS clipboard ready to be pasted. Switch to 1Password and select the menu option File > New Item from Clipboard. This will create a new Login item in your vault and it will enter edit mode automatically. Click the show web form details button and replace the placeholder values with your real ones. Save and try to fill using this item. Due to how the page works you will need to manually instruct the page to show the sign-in form but you should find this item fills. Please let us know how you get along.

{
        "URLs": [
            {
                "overview": {
                    "label": "",
                    "url": "https://www.payworks.ca/"
                }
            }
        ],
        "categoryUUID": "001",
        "details": {
            "fields": [
                {"name": "PayRollNum", "type": "T", "value": "O12345"},
                {"designation": "username", "name": "txtUname", "type": "T", "value": "someone"},
                {"designation": "password", "name": "txtPwd", "type": "P", "value": "peekaboo"}
            ]
        },
        "overview": {
            "ainfo": "someone",
            "ps": 1,
            "title": "Payworks",
            "url": "https://www.payworks.ca/"
        },
        "sectionName": "P"
    }

• emeryamiller
    emeryamiller
    Community Member

Sweet! Thanks @littlebobbytables - that worked perfectly. Is there some documentation about this JSON format so that I can apply it to other pages I've had similar issues with?

• Hi @emeryamiller,

The JSON format no but if you need to create further Login items like this (which you shouldn't need to be doing with any sort of regularity) then here is what I did to create it.

1. In the main 1Password window create a new Login item. This does go against the traditional recommendation of saving within the browser.
    2. Set the title, username, password and website fields accordingly.
    3. Click the show web form details button.
    4. Alter the default field names of the username and password entries to match the ID attribute on the page you wish to fill. In the example above username was replaced with txtUname.
    5. Add any extra fields you require filled and set the name, value and field type to match. In the example above a third field was added with name PayRollNum and type set to text to match the field it needed to fill.
    6. Save.

I went with the JSON route because it's much easier for you as the user rather than having somebody from AgileBits spell out the steps required. If you're happy to delve into 1Password like this then the steps above are how it works. You can test the steps out on Payworks and see if your custom item behaves as the above one does and you'll know you've cracked it. The trickiness is it does require an understanding of HTML and inspecting the page to locate the information you need.

• emeryamiller
    emeryamiller
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables ,

Thanks so much for the explanation. I've given that a try for another site I had issues with, and it worked. A couple of interesting notes:
    1. For some reason, despite my password being quite strong (25 characters, generated by 1password), the password strength on these manually created entries doesn't seem to update when I paste in a password.
    2. It seems that step #1 in your instructions is important. I tried altering an existing record, and that didn't work. For example, I had issues with easyweb.td.com. I suspect it's because they gave their username and password fields new ids. So 1password was filling the username into the description field for some reason. Altering the original record with the new html ids for those fields didn't change it's behaviour (steps 3-4). But creating a new entry and setting the field values did work perfectly (Though, to be fair, so did save new login approach, so the manual setting wasn't necessary here, but I was just playing around with it). Anyhow just thought it was interesting that editing an existing entry doesn't solve the issue, and that a new entry is needed.

Thanks again for the help!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@emeryamiller The other thing that Lil Bobby didn't mention is that the fields' types all need to match. For password fields, this is fairly obvious. For non-password fields, it could be an <input type="email">, and 1Password defaults to "text" as the type, so be sure to match those up.

This discussion has been closed.