1Password Firefox extension doesn't update automatically :(

I just noticed I have 1Password Firefox extension 4.6.10.90 with the latest version being 4.6.11.91

Why does the Firefox extension not update ?

Could this be why ? Curious. When I go to download the Firefox extension for 1password from https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions/firefox?beta=false this is what happens.

Then I must download it from its alternate location (AgileBits server, hosted on Amazon EC2) :(

Comments

• @ttim03: Whether that's what's preventing automatic updates really depends on the root cause of your problem installing the extension. I could potentially see NoScript causing the install to fail, but my other half uses it and I don't believe it prevents his extensions from updating. The other common culprit is anti-malware software, which I could see preventing automatic updates, potentially. Do you use any anti-malware software on this PC? I'd be happy to test it myself and see if this might be your problem, just let me know. :chuffed:

Also, just to cover your bases in case you didn't check, it's worth checking to make sure automatic updates are turned on for the extension. If you look at your addons list (3 lines in the upper right-hand corner > Addons) and click the more link next to the 1Password extension, you can confirm automatic updates are, in fact, enabled. :+1:

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

To what @bundtkate said I'll add that it sounds like there could be some issue with accessing the location where 1Password stores its extension files and update manifests. Can you see if you can reach https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/autoupdate_firefox4.xml from your computer? This is the update file that Firefox will be checking to determine if there is a new version to download. If your computer cannot reach it then Firefox won't know about the new versions.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks.

I believe I can reach https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/autoupdate_firefox4.xml because it says this when I go there.

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<RDF><Description about="urn:mozilla:extension:onepassword4@agilebits.com"><em:updates><Seq><li><Description><em:version>4.6.9</em:version><em:targetApplication><Description><em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id><em:minVersion>38.0</em:minVersion><em:maxVersion>*</em:maxVersion><em:updateLink>https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.6.9.xpi</em:updateLink></Description></em:targetApplication></Description></li></Seq></em:updates></Description></RDF>

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

@bundtkate the extension has automatic updates set to default in Firefox. Guessing that is ok.

Oh and yes I do use anti-malware software it is called Emsisoft AntiMalware

• Hi @ttim03,

You could try whitelisting d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net from your antivirus and see if that helps but our options are limited if the antivirus is incorrectly blocking the connection which does seem to be the primary cause of the connection failure message.

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables I just redid my pc to see and I don't even have Emsisoft AntiMalware installed and still get the same connection failure message :(

I even tried disabling Noscript.

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

I think I found the culprit. Adguard Pro :(

• Hi @ttim03,

I can't say I've heard of Adguard Pro before and feeling slightly offended if our extension has been labelled an advert. I can only hope this is a false positive. I see there non-Pro version has a trial, I think we'll need to see if we can reproduce and then reach out to them.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

More specifically, Firefox should not allow extension update checks to be thwarted by add-ons. This sounds like something we should file a bug about with Mozilla to fix at their level rather than trying to track down individual cases like this.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.