Can't setup new PC with 1Password

I have my secret and master password, but I keep getting the error message that my information is wrong or no network connection on new PC. The new PC is connected (I'm posting with it now).

I am certain my master password is correct because I am able to access 1password on my old PC without issue. Note, I am a license holder and syncing over Dropbox, I don't have an account.

What's going wrong?

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @mitch85: I've gone ahead and move your thread to the Windows topic since your question is concerning the Windows app. I see you've reported you're using 1Password 6 for Windows. 1Password 6 on Windows only works with our 1Password.com subscription accounts.  If you would like to continue using your local vault/license, please uninstall 1Password 6 and install 1Password 4 here. Since your vault is on Dropbox, you'll want to make sure Dropbox is set up on this PC. If 1Password doesn't prompt you to open your vault right away, you'll want to choose Used 1Password before on the welcome screen and then navigate to your vault on Dropbox to open it. :+1:

Of course, if you have any questions along the way, ask away. We're happy to help. :chuffed:

• mitch85
    mitch85
    Community Member

@bundtkate Wow, I'm shocked that Windows users on Dropbox sync are forced back to such an older, poorer experience version of 1Password. It makes no sense that OSX users (where I just switched from) have Dropbox sync available in v6. Incredibly disappointing. It is clearly a commercial decision to alienate Windows customers from v6 who purchased licenses.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

Wow, I'm shocked that Windows users on Dropbox sync are forced back to such an older, poorer experience version of 1Password.

@mitch85: 1Password for Windows version 4 and 1Password for Mac version 6 are the same age. They're just different apps for different environments.

It makes no sense that OSX users (where I just switched from) have Dropbox sync available in v6. Incredibly disappointing. It is clearly a commercial decision to alienate Windows customers from v6 who purchased licenses.

Actually, while I appreciate that it isn't exactly what you want, it makes perfect sense: 1Password for Windows version 6 is a brand new app built from scratch. It will not have local vaults until we're able to develop and test that feature. We've already announced that we're working to add this in version 7. In the mean time you're free to use the version — and the features — you've paid for, at no additional cost to you. We can't work for free any more than I imagine you can though.

• friso_de_man
    friso_de_man
    Community Member

I am sorry, i just have to respond to your message.
    We are talking about purchasing software to make our lives easier and saver.
    Now i have purchased 1 password single license because it was the only option available.
    Today i got a new laptop and wanted to restore the dropbox vault, because back in days there were no other options.
    On my old windows laptop i have version 6 running that automaticly updated to the latest version. Now i would like to connect my new laptop and i am only seeing the v4 version.

If you changed to a diffirent business model, that is fine with me. But now instead of making lives easier you are making mine worse.
    I spend an hour+ struggeling with getting this to work. I even needed to browse fora to discover that you changed current customers to force them to pay again.

Please communicate that you are stopping with supporting "old" stand alone versions that we choose because there were no other alternatives.
    This is not about money but about you beeing shortsighted towards your paying customers.
    I rather switch back to excel than having this shove down my troath.

please provide the last working standalone version towards your already updated customers and communicate that there are new development and that "we" as your customers might want to switch to a subscription based service with cloud intergration and no more crappy dropbox.

Make it our decision to pay again, and not yours.

Thanks

Friso

• bundtkate
    edited September 2017

@friso_de_man:

Now i have purchased 1 password single license because it was the only option available.

Assuming you're talking about a bundle license for Windows and Mac, this has always included 1Password 4 for Windows (not 1Password 6) and this should be reflected in your license e-mail you received at the time of your purchase. 1Password 4 has long been the latest standalone version of 1Password for Windows. 1Password 6 would allow you to open a standalone vault in the past, but it would be read-only and was only for the purpose of importing. You won't able to save new items or edit existing items as those require being able to write to standalone vaults -- something 1Password 6 for Windows could never do. To me these are pretty basic things you'd want to be able to accomplish making 1Password 6 a poor choice for folks using standalone vaults.

On my old windows laptop i have version 6 running that automaticly updated to the latest version. Now i would like to connect my new laptop and i am only seeing the v4 version.

If you did open a standalone vault in 1Password 6 back in the day, sure, it'll still be there, but the ability to add new ones is gone because it's no longer needed. We don't want you to lose that data if you did happen to use a standalone vault with 1Password 6, but we also don't want to encourage folks to use 1Password 6 with standalone vaults. It's not supported and thus a pretty yucky experience. In this particular case, 1Password 4 should seem like an upgrade. You can add and edit items in 1Password 4, along with everything you could do in 1Password 6. I will, however, grant you that 1Password 4 isn't quite as pretty. :wink:

I even needed to browse fora to discover that you changed current customers to force them to pay again.

I'm not sure what could force someone to pay again. If you have a vault in 1Password 6, you can still access that data and move it to 1Password 4 without subscribing. You won't ever need to buy 1Password 4 again, if you already have a license. 1Password 4 won't automatically update to 1Password 6 as this is technically impossible -- they use an entirely different code base. The only thing I can think is that maybe folks installed 1Password 6 and migrated their data to a 1Password account not knowing that it's different? But that would require ignoring a fair number of hints along the way during the sign-up and migration process, not the least of which is a prompt to subscribe. If you want to make the switch to a 1Password membership to use 1Password 6, that's your choice. You can also wait to upgrade to 1Password 7 when it's ready and stick with your standalone vault and a new license. Wholly up to you. I'd encourage anyone who thinks they're being forced to pay again to reach out to us. Chances are, there's a setup problem somewhere or something else we can help to resolve. There's no reason at all you should need to pay for the same version of 1Password twice. :+1:

Please communicate that you are stopping with supporting "old" stand alone versions

We're not, though. I support 1Password 4 every day, as does every one of my teammates that posts here and even more of my teammates that work in our e-mail support system. Even once 1Password 7 comes out and there is a new option for standalone customers, we will still support 1Password 4. It will stop seeing any non-security updates, most likely, but we'll still be happy to help out folks who choose to stick with it. :chuffed:

please provide the last working standalone version towards your already updated customers and communicate that there are new development and that "we" as your customers might want to switch to a subscription based service

We have no way to do this, other than what we already do, which is link to the standalone version on our downloads page. I know its commonplace these days for companies to amass data on their customers, but this isn't something we do around here. There's nothing at all that I can see that tells me that you are using a standalone vault in 1Password 6, unless you send me that information, so we have no way to target that group of people and ask if they want to make a change. I personally like this. There are enough companies stalking me already and I'm glad to work for one that doesn't add to that list. We respect your privacy, so we made the choice to limit what information we know about you as much as possible. In this case, that seems to mean we're unable to provide a service you'd like to see, but I still think it's a fair trade-off and hope you'd agree.

no more crappy dropbox.

After all this, it sounds like maybe you do want to make the switch to a 1Password membership? I can't help you avoid the subscription, but I'd be happy to help you leave Dropbox behind, if you'd like. You need only ask. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.