How do I add 1PWD as second Authenticator app in Google?

slobizman
slobizman
Community Member

I have used 1Passwords 2FA ability already for one of the websites I visit. Slick. So now I am trying to set it up for a Google account and am stuck.

I already have 2FA set up for this account, to work with Google's Authenticator app on my iphone. I'd like to add 1Password on my macbook as an authenticator. I thought it would be easy, as I had already done this with another website successfully. However, when I go to the 2FA page on my Google security page, there is no place I see to add another authenticator. As you can see on the attached screenshot, I can only "Change Phone" or Trash.

How do I add the 1PW Mac app as an authenticator here, when there is no option to add a second one?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

I just had the same issue with Dropbox as well. I can set up Google Authenticator on my iphone OR 1pwd on my macbook, but not both.

• @slobizman,

In setting up the 2FA authentication sites generally provide a QR code for you to scan into your authenticator app. If you scan that image into both the Google Authenticator app and into an item in 1Password by adding a one time password field you should be able to setup both apps to generate the same code.

Rudy

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

Thanks Rudy. I understand that. That's how I got both Dropbox and Google set up for my iphone originally. What I am saying is that there is no way to get that QR code up again for adding new devices, or even doing it without a QR code, on both Google and Dropbox. It's not that it cannot be done anywhere--on Godaddy I was able to later add a second authenticator to my account, at a time well after adding my first authenticator. But no such option in Google and Dropbox.

Is the only way then for me to remove 2FA completely from Google or Dropbox, and then add both my 1PW on my Macbook and Google Authenticator on my iphone, in the same session?

Surely others have had this issue since Google and Dropbox are so popular.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@slobizman -- it looks that way, yes. We're somewhat at the mercy of the websites themselves (much as we are for saving and filling of login information) - some use standards we can work with quite easily, others, not so much. I don't want to blame any given site or provider, but different sites have different setups and requirements. If you can't find an easy way to re-access that information on the site's 2FA page, you may have to turn it off and back on again to change apps/devices for 2FA.

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

Thanks Lars. So, after I turn off 2FA and then begin again with the 2FA setup, when I get the QR code a site should let me set up two devices one after the other with the same QR Code in that session?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@slobizman -- you would think so, yes. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "two devices," however. If you mean two devices running 1Password, there's no need to do that, as the data will be available to all devices you use that are running 1Password, by means of normal sync. If you mean a different device (i.e. - non-1Password), then I would think you could still do it, but that may vary by site. Let us know if you hit any snags.

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough on "two devices." Not really the correct wording. What I meant specifically, was 1PWD on the macbook and Google Authenticator on the iphone.

However, your last reply caused me to realize that I could grab the 2FA code off my iphone's 1PWD app as well! I just never thought about that since I was using it on the Mac. I just tested it and it worked well. My only issue is that it would take me a bit longer to get to than Google Authenticator on the iphone, since I have to key my master password in. Generally, this time lag won't be an issue; however, Godaddy, which I'm on hours a day, does log me out constantly!

This all led me to another question. This whole thought process I'm going through is to make sure I have more than one device that will let me get into a 2FA-enabled site. I've been wondering, if I were to lose all my devices (like a theft overseas let's say), what would I do (yes, I do have the recovery codes for accounts, but still super-paranoid)? Well, you prompted me to realize that the web version of 1PWD also lets me get the 2FA code! Now that's awesome. I could just find a secure computer, grab my emergency kit, and go online. Then I would have access to all my 2FA accounts.

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@slobizman -- you're quite welcome! Yes, the web app has a small number of REALLY beneficial advantages, like you just discovered. Glad to have helped you out on this and in your discovery process -- and thanks for being a 1Password user -- cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.