Browser extension inconsistency

I've been having some strange issues recently with the 1Password extension. I will go to a site that I know that I have a saved login for. I press CTRL+\ to auto-fill my credentials. Sometimes nothing happens at all - no autofill, no helper popup with suggestions. Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes it pops up the helper but there is no site listed, just Search, Favorites, Tags, Password Generator, etc.

Once in a while I can refresh the page and that will fix it and auto-fill or the popup will appear with suggestions once I press the shortcut keys. If that doesn't work, then I can right click the page, click 1Password from the context menu, and then it will show the logins for the site I'm on, which I can then click the one I want to use and it will auto-fill for me. I've seen the same behavior in both Firefox and Chrome. The Firefox extension was just installed today, so it doesn't seem to be a version issue.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bkonicek
    bkonicek
    Community Member

Here are some screenshots from the same website, without refreshing the page

This is what happens when I press CTRL+\

This is what happens when I right click, and select 1Password from the menu

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bkonicek: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Can you check something for me? The behaviour you're describing in both cases would be consistent with browser focus. If the browser is not the focused/active app, pressing Ctrl \ should still work but obviously won't have a URL for context to show you matching logins; and similarly clicking the button in the browser ensures that it does have focus when 1Password displays. With that in mind, are you still able to consistently reproduce the issue? If so, knowing the URLs might help. Thanks in advance!

• bkonicek
    bkonicek
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Hi Brenty, thanks for the response. I definitely have browser focus when this is happening. For example, I type in the URL for the site and wait for it to load without clicking anything, ALT+TABing, etc, then press Ctrl \ as soon as it's done loading. It's no different than anything I used to do previously before I started having this issue. I can 90% consistently reproduce this issue - I can give you a URL, but it happens across multiple sites, which I previously never had this problem with. Example URL: www.nationalgridus.com

For example, I just went there now. I noticed that the url I had saved for the site started with www1, and the actual login page was www so I added that URL to 1Password just in case that was part of the problem. I tried logging in with Ctrl \ and it worked. I logged out and tried again and it brought up the helper popup with no sites listed.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@bkonicek Thanks for all this detail. I have been working with a couple of folks that are having a similar issue and so far, I haven't been able to track this down exactly, but I sent them both a couple of builds to test a theory, and it seems like it is not an issue in the browser extension. My expectation was that the extension was ignoring some messages, but that wasn't born out by the testing we did.

There are a couple of leading theories at present. One is that there is a syncing issue. Are you syncing with Dropbox by chance? (The initial post didn't include sync details, so I have to ask. :smile:) The other possibility is that there is some other software, perhaps some antivirus or security software that is blocking or swallowing the Ctrl+\ shortcut so it's never reaching the 1Password helper process. One way to test this would be to quit the helper from the Task Manager and then run it manually from the command line. In Task Manager, you'll find the helper process listed as Agile1pAgent. Exit this process and then open a command prompt with Win+R and run this command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4\Agile1pAgent.exe" --debug

With this command prompt running the helper, try to reproduce the issue. As soon as you see the issue, copy the logs from the command prompt window. Specifically, we're looking to see if 1Password logs that it is responding to the keyboard shortcut and if it sent any messages to the 1Password extension, starting with getActiveURL.

If any of these logs contain sensitive information or just information you'd rather not share, please email it instead to support+extensions@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and we'll take a look.

Let us know what you find!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• bkonicek
    bkonicek
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Here are the logs. I pressed the shortcut 3 times on the same website as I previously mentioned. The first 3 times nothing happened at all. Then I right clicked the page and selected 1Password. It prompted me for my master password then did nothing. I hit the shortcut again and it brought up the menu with no sites listed. Then I right clicked the username field and selected 1Password, and selected my credentials to sign in. Then I signed out and back on the login page I hit the shortcut keys and it worked on the first try.

09:40:34 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: 1Password 4.6.2.626 (24)
    09:40:34 [ INFO]            T1pAgent4: Listening on port 6263
    09:40:34 [ INFO]           T1pAgentIE: Activated
    09:40:34 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: Listening to 1password4.2
    09:41:03 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:41:07 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:41:08 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:41:14 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:41:17 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: Pipe 692 connected to Server 1password4.2.
    09:41:17 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: <--- Chrome: [showPopup]: {"action":"showPopup","number":35,"version":5,"bundleId":"com.google.Chrome","payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"ndHsY6hbUKqNurqpX80JHg","data":"d3Bx-l3YDuxjpQGZw-WEN04JWm61Oei1loP4vhixmfmd7DWjvLuHFgXgymjGqDTDP_Sws6J046VpYqtbo-s6b-H0mRVBJ0l3M-wIeED1SDZTaSUFbDLteE6BMKbreNlX","hmac":"dlLXJU2uX2mOmmzb"}}
    09:41:25 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:41:25 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: ---> Chrome: [getActiveURL]: {"payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"DZEu8X8XiFnoDdEaFEoxFg","data":"je18DUCOKzL_sOIQyR9fww","hmac":"fgBeFKBp0UplbFspyZxd5vZR-owUziYAXW_bE6iVeVI"},"version":"4","action":"getActiveURL","number":4}
    09:41:25 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut processed in: 15 ms.
    09:41:36 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: <--- Chrome: [showPopup]: {"action":"showPopup","number":37,"version":5,"bundleId":"com.google.Chrome","payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"MsrmzrvvdKGP2WpZXrGQjw","data":"CSEIBNmLYtOaFl5oXlOwQlNZsERnJe8QAHCrarQrtokrslI4wNAdHr52sXPQNynmgfCJahfktXj0i04T7mBQ84fZxD5PILXjt38Nqed5SAPuU6fTg52UNAi8npzAR8wJ","hmac":"HuQoitjDFLIFpGXx"}}
    09:41:38 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: ---> Chrome: [collectDocuments]: {"version":4,"action":"collectDocuments","number":5,"payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"Y76h-S8yFWeZK9orGWLzWQ","data":"XFWT3K_oOpZkZcmMYP6-x9mu8LYieS8oPtkQiUK58Jg7P1aXnLIhk91w-H9-g_3_5h0XJMLpk9N3RRUsdVtODGJG-7sqXgX3GxytwfMM_FSHQGSylCoG70b0IGFEndCe","hmac":"ygXkFlXIrdz9kFVjaOR0Z_grufO5RklWie2S-CLfuiA"}}
    09:41:38 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: <--- Chrome: [collectDocumentResults]
    09:41:38 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: ---> Chrome: [executeFillScript]
    09:41:38 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: <--- Chrome: [fillItemResults]: {"action":"fillItemResults","number":40,"version":5,"bundleId":"com.google.Chrome","payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"Mw1unWkRWytG5OLiJcPAdg","data":"HTGt-GKvkiZD0KJ3Le0tkV30AuyEp8xeGjRB899gnMkNwW7x7VRb0B1p_HJ0xriCkZECFRSr2ADgZLzHLh3BkT_pIup9wI_o17QQ9xQE5Fnri-Jr2WNgErpF_4bsLo7v313LFhQn_ErCz7WUQO0aERDS40CRn1GkB6TjHaJo6meC1W2NG3xXJwIW-GNXj0JVoX0AI27VHAF4s6ALXnWGFQ","hmac":"XQwplJGhGgJuEPli"}}
    09:41:39 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: <--- Chrome: [pressEnterKey]: {"action":"pressEnterKey","number":41,"version":5,"bundleId":"com.google.Chrome","payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"IJYuPltEdjSl07Wrt5tWTw","data":"4mhMZPoLGDsT49v8lVPvNA","hmac":"43HmrsX5Q5wf0JNc"}}
    09:42:33 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:42:33 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: ---> Chrome: [getActiveURL]: {"payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"hVcvVdjzYYRXoi3olQ7jQQ","data":"wymosH-OanVziNSAuAQz0g","hmac":"h8wZvGjPmOobnqUiQMoGq3djuyJomJrKpDPI_SLEwGo"},"version":"4","action":"getActiveURL","number":8}
    09:42:33 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut processed in: 0 ms.
    09:42:36 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:42:36 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: ---> Chrome: [getActiveURL]: {"payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"3GzC-s8BU9JabPYgVCp0FQ","data":"ej0RB-deB843bqYDOqUZpw","hmac":"p3kpic-scNb9dF6qVLK8bsTAP8tphegvc1hlH2Epw-g"},"version":"4","action":"getActiveURL","number":9}
    09:42:36 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut processed in: 16 ms.
    09:42:36 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: <--- Chrome: [activeURL]: {"action":"activeURL","number":43,"version":5,"bundleId":"com.google.Chrome","payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"qIueRtXGDoYM7FatLGc0RA","data":"Ey1Mvxev8gMzyjCtdLHOKmAkV-GYw4lAMTmA1aciRgbS1H3fIZGg2o8C8wg3P-iUseNneCadLKa3hsSQUTUOZyRTYvEg5xgyaa_JYWkj26QVlrNXyHKu3G8FZPvj7vc3gHv3IX9Ndzx3JRrpXkftxl_kAQTBefiXsJcLYLtNoi6Kei_dYcz8xGQFqO2dG7jWm44WkY_hsmMz7SWHiKDHvXvGWLL5BxtiBnc_DwLnaGl3pufIu85Nuj4J1hoZX0pB-HstC1NexeiXTpnV_gj0haeGJP1obXfvGZstQyaXdkY","hmac":"wRpMijd3Irf9eOuE"}}
    09:42:36 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: ---> Chrome: [collectDocuments]: {"version":4,"action":"collectDocuments","number":10,"payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"n-apwTQLymxWR3ox0T4vBQ","data":"fQaqFGIdgGE0AOu1V9Mr_B5M7edJKQNuwLc4IYV9wuu0AsADvkc3f7Slr5KBIM2ZxTTYI7TPXwdM3bG97z2-Uff5GuROwc4K5ME1ga5JqCw6YOeUfFvzxxUgNzmiev6l","hmac":"p_NNqtpiiG8zu5j8HMmS9kaQInWJ-krXEd-Ih1HmAjg"}}
    09:42:36 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: <--- Chrome: [collectDocumentResults]
    09:42:37 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: ---> Chrome: [executeFillScript]
    09:42:37 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: <--- Chrome: [fillItemResults]: {"action":"fillItemResults","number":46,"version":5,"bundleId":"com.google.Chrome","payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"dl7ry9Rfzj05iG4ESuHSoQ","data":"WxasYCj7msvtNzyy9h3uUbv6XeUqVsX0aHuWbUJC_hPCy3eEoKyjkUVauENWjRTEBQ1tY94T4UoDhiaxhasZL4EhZ1nQYlxUFNyOeRFaDVj9Zndrgij7GK8mP_cLt4u5dWUj006Xk0DfnaKArl5QrYgSA7hSVQ6Kz0SSpMKDvmbjE1TyapFlQ1CHqvncek0BLKcdqKqC2MZI3I5CiYZezg","hmac":"rbSalyXpGYeRR-NK"}}
    09:42:37 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: <--- Chrome: [pressEnterKey]: {"action":"pressEnterKey","number":47,"version":5,"bundleId":"com.google.Chrome","payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"AqNSPLiF6FuKgXnI1oG6pA","data":"5FGwtVEh4xxMn5jrB7qh8w","hmac":"t8f363uwdLpY4rJB"}}

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for these logs, @bkonicek. I see a couple things, so I want to pull them out in turn…

First, I see several times where 1Password handled the keyboard shortcut before it was properly connected to the extension:

09:41:03 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:41:07 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:41:08 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:41:14 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:41:17 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: Pipe 692 connected to Server 1password4.2.

So, those instances, I think we can call a red herring for this investigation.

Next, I see this:

09:41:25 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    09:41:25 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: ---> Chrome: [getActiveURL]: {"payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"DZEu8X8XiFnoDdEaFEoxFg","data":"je18DUCOKzL_sOIQyR9fww","hmac":"fgBeFKBp0UplbFspyZxd5vZR-owUziYAXW_bE6iVeVI"},"version":"4","action":"getActiveURL","number":4}
    09:41:25 [ INFO]          TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut processed in: 15 ms.
    09:41:36 [ INFO]           T1pAgentNM: <--- Chrome: [showPopup]: {"action":"showPopup","number":37,"version":5,"bundleId":"com.google.Chrome","payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"MsrmzrvvdKGP2WpZXrGQjw","data":"CSEIBNmLYtOaFl5oXlOwQlNZsERnJe8QAHCrarQrtokrslI4wNAdHr52sXPQNynmgfCJahfktXj0i04T7mBQ84fZxD5PILXjt38Nqed5SAPuU6fTg52UNAi8npzAR8wJ","hmac":"HuQoitjDFLIFpGXx"}}

Here, it looks like you invoked the shortcut and the helper sent the getActiveURL message but got no response. (Later on in the logs, you'll see the activeURL message follows getActiveURL, which is what we normally expect to see.) What isn't clear to me is whether this message is making it over to the extension itself. Based on this and some other issues I have been helping with, I'm beginning to suspect that the channel that Chrome uses to communicate between 1Password and the extension is either not getting the messages from the helper or not delivering them properly to Chrome.

I'm asking someone from our Windows team to help evaluate this since I am not as well versed in Windows architecture since I work primarily on Mac.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Hi Jamie,

I've just found this thread after the ongoing flakiness of the "^\" shortcut tipped me over the "pissed off enough to take action" threshold. I'm experiencing the same on 2 x Windows 10 x64 machines, both running the Creators Edition update.

Here's my log. Interestingly it saw the shortcut the first 3 times and did nothing, and from that point on the shortcut never made it there (or the agent had locked up by that stage). The page had focus as I'd only just navigated to it. After no action I clicked inside the page too.

08:31:00 [ INFO] TFrm1pAgent: 1Password 4.6.2.626 (24)
    08:31:00 [ INFO] T1pAgent4: Listening on port 6263
    08:31:00 [ INFO] T1pAgentIE: Activated
    08:31:00 [ INFO] T1pAgentNM: Listening to 1password4.3
    08:31:28 [ INFO] TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    08:31:37 [ INFO] TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    08:31:40 [ INFO] TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604

My browser of choice is Chrome, and both of these versions are manifesting the problem:
    Version 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Here's a second re-run of the agent in debug mode - it failed to do anything 4 times and then locked up / stopped logging:
    08:40:30 [ INFO] TFrm1pAgent: 1Password 4.6.2.626 (24)
    08:40:30 [ INFO] T1pAgent4: Listening on port 6263
    08:40:30 [ INFO] T1pAgentIE: Activated
    08:40:30 [ INFO] T1pAgentNM: Listening to 1password4.3
    08:40:36 [ INFO] TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    08:40:41 [ INFO] TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    08:40:43 [ INFO] TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604
    08:40:45 [ INFO] TFrm1pAgent: Shortcut received: 16604

Closing and relaunching Chrome at this point didn't change anything - the Agent is still unresponsive at this point.

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Interestingly, whilst the PC's 1P executable app opens OK for me at this point, all happily signed in (having signed in on the secure desktop at boot this morning), clicking the 1P icon in the Chrome toolbar after the repeated forced-close & relaunch of the Agent throws up the "locked" page and requires me to sign in again. Not sure if that's to be expected after the above brutality or not?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Greig: Which version of Chrome and the 1Password extension are you using? Do you have Native Messaging enabled in 1Password Help > Advanced? If you don't have the main 1Password app open when you unlock in the browser, you'll need to unlock there separately. if both are active at the same time, they can unlock together if "When unlocking the application, also unlock 1Password in the browser" is enabled in 1Password Preferences > Browsers.

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

My browser of choice is Chrome, and both of these versions are manifesting the problem:
    Version 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I only ever unlock the app on the secure desktop and that automatically unlocks/enables the browser plugin. That's why it struck me as odd having the browser pop asking for credentials - but having stopped and restarted the Agent that might have been expected behaviour.

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Greig: Thanks! Indeed, you're definitely behind on Chrome updates on one of those, but the fact that you're having the same issue across two versions is a clue. Are you using the same Google Account in Chrome in both cases? If you create a new Chrome person/profile and install 1Password, are you still having the same problem?

That's why it struck me as odd having the browser pop asking for credentials - but having stopped and restarted the Agent that might have been expected behaviour.

That's it exactly. The Agent/Helper is 1Password's locking service which connects to the browser, so killing/restarting that will require you to unlock again.

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Thanks for clarifying that @brenty. It does make sense now given the wording of the Unlock checkbox.

BTW the older of the two Chromes prompted me to update when I captured that screen, so they're now at the same version.

I'm not signed in to Chrome on either PC.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Thanks for clarifying that @brenty. It does make sense now given the wording of the Unlock checkbox.

@Greig: Makes sense, but we are working to simplify things going forward. Sorry for the confusion there!

BTW the older of the two Chromes prompted me to update when I captured that screen, so they're now at the same version. I'm not signed in to Chrome on either PC.

Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know. That's really odd, and I'm sorry you've been stuck like this. At this point, the best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report right away so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com
    Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: LEE-58492-787

• tsaylor
    tsaylor
    Community Member

I'll just add my voice to the list of people seeing inconsistent behavior (on 3 different Windows/Chrome systems). Things that happen inconsistently when I've got a valid login saved:

• Clicking the extension icon does nothing (no drop down)
    • Clicking the extension drops down the menu but with no matching sites
    • Ctrl+\ does nothing (in that case, Ctrl+k as an alternate works usually but not always either)
    • The match appears correctly but clicking it does not enter any data in the fields

What's odd is that these all all inconsistent. For example, when it doesn't fill in data I can usually hit f5 to refresh the page, try again and it works. I've been noticing this behavior for many months, perhaps more than a year, but the inconsistencies seem to have increased in the past few months so I'm guessing an update changed the behavior for the worse at some point (I suppose that could be a 1Password update, a Chrome update, or a Windows update). Sorry if that isn't very useful for actual solutions, but it's at least a snapshot of some behavior I've been seeing.

• @tsaylor: That's a particularly strange list of happenings given the different likely causes of each. I'm wondering if some component of 1Password isn't running into some sort of interference? 1Password 4 and I have a complicated relationship, but I've been using it consistently and successfully when needed. Of course, we do know of some problems we've not been able to reproduce, but none that sound quite like yours. If you could, I'd like you to send us a diagnostics report:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and let us know when you've sent it. We'll hunt it down and take a closer look. Thanks! :chuffed:

• tsaylor
    tsaylor
    Community Member

Thanks @bundtkate, and sorry for the long delay. I'm continuing to see all of the behaviors I mentioned on all of my systems (even with different environments, different Chrome users, and different 1Password data files). I've sent the requested diagnostics report. Please let me know if there are additional details I can provide.

• Thanks for sending that diagnostics report, @tsaylor! I tried to hunt down your email but wasn't able to locate it. When you sent the report, you should have gotten an automatic reply from BitBot with a support ID. Can you kindly post that ID here so we can locate your email? Thanks! :)

• tsaylor
    tsaylor
    Community Member

Sure thing @DaltonD. The support ID was #APE-21574-936.

• Excellent! Thanks, @tsaylor. We'll take a look at the report you shared and reply via email. :)

This discussion has been closed.