Invited member has no access to default Personal vault but can see all data

Darkstar666
Darkstar666
Community Member

I invited my partner after I had been using the default Shared and Personel vaults.
I created a new Personal vault for her and gave her the correct permissions on it, but with no permissions on the default "Personal" vault she can see all data there.
I my have made an error, as she signs in with the same password as me, so how does 1Passw2ord know who it is that is signing in?

Cheers

-S

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:invited member can see the default vault

Comments

• Hi @Darkstar666! Sorry about the confusion. Every family member gets a Personal vault and can access it no matter what. They can't be deleted, renamed, or removed from someone on your family. You can, however, change your partner's 1Password settings on each device to save new items in the other vault you created if you'd prefer it be shared between you two:

Change the vault for saving

Hope this helps!

• Darkstar666
    Darkstar666
    Community Member

Understand that, and I created her her own personal vault with the correct permissions, but she still has access to the default "Personal" vault.
    I am looking for a method such that she cannot see my Personal folder, anything that is to be shared should go into the "Shared" vault

• That is not currently possible. Every member will always have access to their default Personal vault, and only they will ever have access to it.

You can remove their default Personal vault from the All Vaults view, using 1Password > Preferences > All Vaults > uncheck Personal, however they will still be able to manually change to this vault.

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017

Re-reading your message, I think Jacob and I may have misunderstood what you've done here. Upon re-evaluation it sounds like you shared your Master Password and Secret Key with your partner, such that they are seeing your Personal vault, instead of their own? That is not the preferred way of using 1Password. Instead you should invite your partner to create their own vault:

Share passwords with your family - 1Password Support

You'll want to log your partner out of your account, and change your Master Password.

Ben

• Darkstar666
    Darkstar666
    Community Member

Ben,

Thanks for that. So Would like your recommendation on how do I proceed from here.

I did initially have access to the link you sent, and I invited my partner via email, and had set up her vault. She accepted, and when she opened the link she was not asked to create her own Password into the system, hence her asking what mine was, and I guess by default also gaining access to all the Vaults.

What would be your recommendation to proceed. Delete her and re invite her?
    How can I get her to enter her own password into the system?

Cheers

-S

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Darkstar666 -- that's exactly what I would recommend, if your partner is signing into 1Password with your Master Password.

Open your 1Password account in a browser, go to Members (in the right sidebar) and delete your partner. Then just click on Invitations and re-invite her. She should get an email asking her to join your family. In it is a large button "Let's get Started." From there, it should be relatively self-explanatory: once she chooses a Master Password and is given a randomly-generated Secret Key, she should download her Emergency Kit, and you'll receive an email letting you know her sign-up needs your confirmation. You can read more about the process in this set of instructions, if you like. Good luck, and let us know if you have any further problems!

This discussion has been closed.