Why do my 1Password login pages seem to be loading slower since updating to MacOS High Sierra?

wilson0724
wilson0724
Community Member

There is a definite slow down in my login pages loading since updating to OS High Sierra yesterday. Has anything on the 1Password side of the equation changed???

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Pages loading slower since updating to Mac OS High Sierra

Comments

• @wilson0724,

You're referring to https://my.1password.com? Apple did ship enhancements to the WebCrypto code alongside Safari 11 and macOS High Sierra, but i'm not sure it should have necessarily caused anything to slow down.

Rudy

• gcolgan
    gcolgan
    Community Member

Just upgraded to High Sierra and switched back to Safari as my default browser. IF the 1password extension is enabled I have extremely slow response in Safari in all page openings. If I disable the extension the page loads are lightning fast. Any idea what is going on?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gcolgan: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, can you give me example URLs to test, and be more specific about "extremely slow response" with and without 1Password enabled? Thanks in advance! :)

• gcolgan
    gcolgan
    Community Member

Well, as stated above the OS is High Sierra (10.13) and the browser is Safari (11.0) - the extension is 1Password, I don't see any version number anywhere under settings for the extension. My desktop 1Password version is 6.8.2

I don't have any specific URLS because it was an issue everywhere. I will inform you that having disabled all extensions and restarted Safari then reenabling them seems to have helped quite a bit. I had not done that since updating to High Sierra and Safari 11 - everything was just inherited. It seems to me that I am still slightly slower with 1Password enabled but the difference is MUCH less noticeable. Hard to be certain as I'm always suspicious a second load of a page might be cached.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, as stated above the OS is High Sierra (10.13) and the browser is Safari (11.0) - the extension is 1Password, I don't see any version number anywhere under settings for the extension. My desktop 1Password version is 6.8.2

@gcolgan: You didn't mention any actual version numbers, so I appreciate you sharing that. I'd rather not make assumptions.

I don't have any specific URLS because it was an issue everywhere.

I undetstand. It's just not possible for us to do a 1:1 comparison without specifics, so that and the version numbers are helpful in that regard.

I will inform you that having disabled all extensions and restarted Safari then reenabling them seems to have helped quite a bit.

That's good to hear. Do you by any chance have a tab addiction like I do? I've experienced similar issues as far back as Yosemite because of that, where restarting Safari is the only thing that helps get things working smoothly again. I can't say I've noticed a difference with any releases since then. It just seems like I'm running out of memory if I leave too many sites open for too long.

I had not done that since updating to High Sierra and Safari 11 - everything was just inherited. It seems to me that I am still slightly slower with 1Password enabled but the difference is MUCH less noticeable. Hard to be certain as I'm always suspicious a second load of a page might be cached.

That's a really good point. Certainly 1Password (or any other extension) will have an impact on performance, which can be exponential, as Safari is processing it for each tab/window open. It does seem to worsen over time, so I suspect there's a memory leak there. If you experience this again, generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and let me know the Support ID once you've sent it. We'll see what we can find.

This discussion has been closed.