Allow generation of passwords

I could not find anyone else writing this yet and also not via the search function.

I would like to be able to generate passwords like the normal app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• fabse
    fabse
    Community Member

Reading through other answers it seems like you already work on this :) Great! Keep it up! I am about to change to Linux and just signed up for 1password.com just for this, so it would be great if i can keep using it.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @fabse,

Welcome to the 1Password for Chrome beta! You're correct; we don't have a secure password generator in our current beta release. Since this is a core 1Password feature, we will certainly have one before the first official release. The design team has created a beautiful password generator that is incredibly easy to use. I think you're really going to like it!

If you come across anything else, please let us know. Cheers!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• pedrocalgaro
    pedrocalgaro
    Community Member

+1 to the secure password generator

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@pedrocalgaro: Thanks for showing your support! No need to worry, it's happening. :) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• 2629467a
    2629467a
    Community Member

oh please if it happens, integrate all of the old options you could check a while back on the windows program. I am somewhat sure to remember a time when I could tick boxes saying that my passwort should include numbers, special charakters, letters or be pronouncable instead. Everytime I create a useraccount or something and need a new passwort the website tells me I have to use at least one special character and a number or that I definetly cannot use those or whatever nonsense they came up with. Right now with the windows app I generate a passwort containing all kind of characters and then manually delete the ones I can't use in that particular case. This is really annoying. I know you don't like people using passworts too short or too easy to guess, but if I just really need a 4 digits number because the website in question says I have to, then not being able to use 1password for it because you think seem to think I am reckless and stupid drives me nuts all the time. So please, do not do this again in this extension, after you screwed it up with the main version already.
    This is about my saftey and my needs and even if you don't like the thought that I might end up using 4 digit numbers as passwords for all my logins, it is my own responsibility and you should not try to prevent me from doing this. I have a right to be stupid and if you want to take this right away from me and thereby make my life unnecessary complicated even in situations I have good reasons to want to do this, I really do not appreciate it. Sorry for the rant, but I do have an issue with companies paternalizing their customers.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @2629467a,

Thank you very much for posting this feedback, it's essential to see posts like this because we don't always use 1Password in the same way our customers do.

Your post is also valuable feedback for our Windows application because on Mac we can support your 4-digit only password generation. Here's an example of how that would look:

I promise you that any options removed from 1Password have been done so to help make 1Password easier to use, not because we think people are stupid or we want to force them to use a specific password recipes. We rather see people using unique passwords across every website than specific recipes to make them stronger. Going forward with this extension; I'll be your advocate to support as many password recipes as possible.

If there's something we can improve along the way, don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great week!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• 2629467a
    2629467a
    Community Member

Thank you for the response. To be clear: this was possible in 1Password 4, just the way your Mac Version looks like, but not in 1Password 6. Version 6 is overall just a total nuisance, I think it's incredible how few things you can actually do with it. It's so bad, it drives me crazy. I seriously do not understand why this program exists. But thanks anyway.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@2629467a: I think there's been some misunderstanding. This has discussion nothing to do with Windows or 1Password 6. Beyer is referring to the new Chrome beta extension we're building for ChromeOS and Linux, which is the topic of this discussion and forum category. We do want this new browser extension to be as full featured as possible, as we continue to build it and get feedback from beta tester. If you have feedback about that, please let us know.

I'll be happy to pass your feedback about the password generator in the Windows app along though, and we already have this on our list to add in a future update. But if you have other feedback about our new native Windows app, please start a new discussion in the Windows category of the forums so the development team knows what other features you're looking for. They're not likely to be looking for Windows feedback here. Thanks!

• 2629467a
    2629467a
    Community Member

No misunderstanding there. I was just asking to make the chrome extension different form the windows version in that point, cause I strongly dislike the windows version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@2629467a: Ah, thanks for clarifying. Our goal is to improve both of these new versions so that all have the same features.

This discussion has been closed.