Some thoughts on the new custom icon feature

pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi, I've been testing out the new custom icon feature in 1Password 6.8.BETA-1. There's not much to say as it's working near perfectly for me, letting me upload icons for my Software Licences. I'm using the BeCyIconGrabber app to extract the icons from the .exe files, then using the new 1Password feature to upload them to the program/1Password.com.

A few thoughts though. For the Software Licences category, could *.ico files be added to the list of supported image types? 1Password supports adding these images, but it means selecting the "All files" filter each time I enter the file picker. Would it also be possible to extract icons directly from *.exe files through 1Password in the future? It would let me cut out using the BeCyIconGrabber program, but I don't know how easy-to-implement this would be?

Last of all, my newly updated Software Licences showed up perfectly in 1Password for Mac, but a few I'd uploaded on macOS didn't appear in the Windows app at first. Updating them on macOS fixed this problem for me (it was only 2-3 licences that had this error) :+1:

That's all my feedback for 6.8 - it's shaping up to be a really solid release with the new options window, better UI density and being able to select which vaults show up in All Vaults, all great new features. I'm looking forward to seeing it go through the beta process, and hitting stable in due course :+1:

1Password Version: 6.8.BETA-1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Creators x64
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Thanks for the feedback @pbryanw! I'm glad to hear custom icons are working well for you thus far. I was really excited to replace an ugly, pixelated icon for one of my logins. All pretty now!

For the Software Licences category, could *.ico files be added to the list of supported image types? 1Password supports adding these images, but it means selecting the "All files" filter each time I enter the file picker.

Officially, only *.png and *.jpg are supported across all platforms, so these are the ones we want to display by default since we know for sure they'll display properly everywhere you use 1Password. In practice, it may well be the case that more formats work perfectly on all platforms (as you have noticed thus far with *.ico), but until the official word is given that we're supporting different formats on all devices, we'll likely stick to what we have. :+1:

Would it also be possible to extract icons directly from *.exe files through 1Password in the future?

We might include this in the future, but if we do it'll be a ways down the road. At present, the more immediate road map is pretty well set in stone and our development team's plates are pretty full. Definitely an awesome idea though, so thanks for sharing. We'll keep it in mind. :chuffed:

Last of all, my newly updated Software Licences showed up perfectly in 1Password for Mac, but a few I'd uploaded on macOS didn't appear in the Windows app at first.

Thanks for letting us know! This may well be something the development team is already aware of as I know this beta is still slated for a few tweaks down the road and was released with some known issues. Just in case I need to reproduce this myself, though, did you notice anything these icons had in common? File format? Date added? Did this happen with all icons you had previously added on Mac? Thanks! :chuffed:

it's shaping up to be a really solid release with the new options window, better UI density and being able to select which vaults show up in All Vaults, all great new features.

Thanks for the compliments! I was particularly stoked about the All Vaults changes. No more test accounts showing up when I don't need them! Best present the development team has ever given us support folks. Thanks for being a beta tester and keep the feedback coming! :chuffed:

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Just in case I need to reproduce this myself, though, did you notice anything these icons had in common? File format? Date added? Did this happen with all icons you had previously added on Mac? Thanks!

@bundtkate - Hi, the only thing I noticed with these icons, were that they were extremely low-res/pixelated when I came to update them. It makes me wonder if they were uploaded with a much older version of the Mac app? Apart from that, there seemed nothing different about them in terms of file format or date added. And only 2-3 out of 15+ icons were affected that I had previously added on Mac.

Thanks for your help & feedback on my feedback :+1:

• @pbryanw: Ah, if it was only a handful, I wonder if you aren't right about having uploaded them with an older version. If they were pixelated, I bet you wanted to update them anyway, so maybe it's a feature and not a bug? :wink: Either way, thanks for the extra info. We'll keep an eye out for additional reports of this and see if there's anything we can do about it. :+1:

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Hi, I might have found a bug to do with custom icons. If you upload a custom icon from your hard-drive to a login or item (like a Software Licence). If you then make a edit to one of the item's fields, then save it or just save without making an edit, the icon will revert back to the server's rich icon - or a generic icon if there's no rich icon. I've noticed this in 6.8.BETA-466.

I've also noticed, but I don't know if this is intended behaviour, (and not related to custom icons) that if you edit an item in favorites view, when you press save, the view changes back to the all logins list with the edited item highlighted. I'm not sure if this is new to 6.8.BETA-466, as I have moved exclusively to the new beta now.

• Hi @pbryanw,

If you upload a custom icon from your hard-drive to a login or item (like a Software Licence). If you then make a edit to one of the item's fields, then save it or just save without making an edit, the icon will revert back to the server's rich icon - or a generic icon if there's no rich icon. I've noticed this in 6.8.BETA-466.

Thanks, I can reproduce the issue with the custom icon, we'll get that fixed.

ref: OPW6-1483

I've also noticed, but I don't know if this is intended behaviour, (and not related to custom icons) that if you edit an item in favorites view, when you press save, the view changes back to the all logins list with the edited item highlighted. I'm not sure if this is new to 6.8.BETA-466, as I have moved exclusively to the new beta now.

It is a known bug, not yet optimized to remain in the same view for Favorites and will be fixed in a future update.

ref: OPW6-1485

• tomday
    tomday
    Community Member

Just a follow-up question regarding custom icons - are they syncing with icons from my Mac? I have added all icons on my laptop and am wondering if they will transfer across in 6.8?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@tomday: Yes, custom icons will sync as part of your data — with the proviso that custom icons are still very much a beta feature in the new Windows app. ;)

• tomday
    tomday
    Community Member

Awesome @brenty - they have all come over. This has been the last puzzle piece for me on the Windows app. 6.8 is a winner

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Glad to hear that all is well there, and that you're enjoying the new version. Thanks so much for the kind words, and be sure to let us know if you have any other feedback on the beta! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.