2 needed features for 1Password Windows

Hi,
New user of Windows and iPad 1Password here. Program seems great so far but I do have two ideas for added features in the Windows version:

1. Capability to reveal passwords (as the iPad version allows)
2. In the Credit Card form, fields for street address, city, state and zip code so that all the needed credit card purchase info can be automatically pasted in

Thanks for your consideration of these ideas.
LanceCov

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    LanceCov wrote:

1. Capability to reveal passwords (as the iPad version allows)

Ctrl+R

LanceCov wrote:

2. In the Credit Card form, fields for street address, city, state and zip code so that all the needed credit card purchase info can be automatically pasted in

This is what "Identities" are for.
  • LanceCov
    LanceCov
    Community Member
    Hi,
    Thanks for the Ctrl-R shortcut to reveal the password. Did I miss that in the tutorial?

Also thanks for the recommendation to use identities. I still think that it would be a good idea to have your address in the credit card along with your other credit card data (for easy auto-type of that info).

LanceCov
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2011
    LanceCov, welcome to the forum!

I could've sworn Ctrl+R was in the user's guide, but I'm danged if I could find it, just now...so I've added it to the "keyboard shortcuts" article in the FAQ section. You'll notice that that article documents only shortcuts that aren't listed in the menus.

As for adding address fields to the Credit Card item subtype template, I quite agree with you.

I already have to maintain two Identity items: one for my personal address, and one for my business address. If my credit card billing address happens to be different from both of those, I have to maintain a third Identity, just for that. A certain unnamed password management tool allows me to store both personal and business addresses in a single Identity item, along with credit card number, expiration info, and billing address, all in a single item. That means I can fill online purchase forms with a single click.

I'm willing to accept that identity and credit card info needs to be in separate items, but I can't think of a reason why Credit Card items shouldn't include billing address fields. As soon as 1Password includes options to create or customize item templates—whatever form those options take—this will be among the first customizations I make.

Until that time, we can only ask for your patience. Thank you for using 1Password!
  • 1. Capability to reveal passwords (as the iPad version allows)

The Ctrl-R is a good solution for this, but just curious as to why there is not an easier reveal method such as a button or menu item. While I will remember Ctrl-R today, a week or two from now, I'm sure it will be something I will not remember...
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    ScottN wrote:

The Ctrl-R is a good solution for this, but just curious as to why there is not an easier reveal method such as a button or menu item.

There is also this: View > Conceal Passwords
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

There is also this: View > Conceal Passwords

Thanks, Stefan!

Scott, though this is on the menus, like a command, it's actually a toggle—each time you choose it, you switch it between "off" and "on."

It's the way to set your overall preference, whereas Ctrl+R is a way to get a quick peek at a password when your preference is to have them obscured.
  • Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    How about an option to link a Credit Card entry to an Identity entry? It would pick up the necessary billing address info without having to type it again or update both if something changes.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2011
    I've always advocated for the idea of storing Identity and Credit Card information together—granted, I came to 1Password for Mac from the Roboform world, but I can't imagine having a credit card that isn't tied to either my personal or business "identity"—but that's just not how the 1Password designers see data (though we never say "never").

Your idea of linking them, somehow, might merit some examination as a compromise. Of course, if it involved any kind of data reorganization, it would have to be implemented and released nearly simultaneously on all our platforms, which is no trivial task, especially for a small team like ours.

Thanks for the suggestion, Smudge!
This discussion has been closed.