Sooo....How Dicey are the Betas?

Options
AlwaysSortaCurious
AlwaysSortaCurious
Community Member

In a traditional model, I would back up my DB or file or whatever before being a beta tester. How does that work here? I don't mind the occasional issue in order to create a better experience, but I really don't want to bork my passwords and other things and render them useless and lost. There doesn't seem to be a mention of this concern in the sticky at the top.

Just saying.... and wondering.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlwaysSortaCurious: Haha a good and fair question! Ultimately it's up to you what you're comfortable with, but I can definitely give you some insight that will help:

1. We test betas internally before releasing publicly, to avoid showstoppers.
    2. 1Password 6 depends on 1Password.com accounts, which include automatic offsite backup and item history, so the damage that could be done to data (which is validated with the server) is minimized and there are checks in place on both ends.
    3. But the reason I would dissuade someone from using the betas is because things will break from time to time, so in a serious productivity environment (e.g. you're at work, or it's tax season...) a bad build or broken feature could really ruin your day.

Now, because it is certainly possible that we could make a mistake and release something disastrous, I'm not sure I'd want to mention this in the announcement to give everyone the impression that there aren't risks. But we do work hard to mitigate them for our customers — and frankly ourselves, since we use it too. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    Options

That was fair and honest. And while I am feeling brave, and do enjoy playing with betas, I simply have a little less than I need this week.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hear ya. It's always an option if and when you're able to justify being more adventurous, but no matter what we're working to get the betas fixed up and moved right along so that everyone can benefit from the improvements we make. Cheers! :)

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, I started running the Windows Beta last year when there wasn't much other option. How do I fall back to non-beta status? If I just uncheck the "Include beta builds" checkbox on the Update tab, it would seem that I would stay at 6.8.465 beta forever, or at least until the next major revision releases.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nhDOBsfc: Yep! Just uncheck that box, and you'll only be updated to the next stable build. It's actually slightly easier on Windows since, after testing, we can simply promote 6.8.465 to stable if it's good. However, we've already identified some issues that need to be addressed there, so that's just an example in this case. :blush:

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty so, you confirm that unchecking the box is a bad idea because I'll be stuck with a bad beta version even after the bad beta version is updated. How do I fall back to non-beta status?

• ianbogue
    ianbogue
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Is the beta good?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

so, you confirm that unchecking the box is a bad idea because I'll be stuck with a bad beta version even after the bad beta version is updated. How do I fall back to non-beta status?

@nhDOBsfc: What? No. :lol: You can always install the latest stable version from our website if you want to revert, instead of just "fall back to non-beta status".

Is the beta good?

@ianbogue: The current beta has a lot of great stuff, but it also has bugs. No showstoppers, but we'll have a new beta out as soon as we can.

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, I re-installed the latest stable version last night, but I was immediately upgraded to the latest beta. I tried again tonight, but this time I remembered to change my update preferences before I re-installed the latest stable version. Now I am running the stable version -- both application and Chrome extension. tyvm

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nhDOBsfc: Ah, dang. Yeah I've done the same thing before. And the betas checks are much more aggressive for obvious reasons. Glad you got it sorted out! We're here if you need anything else. :)

• MikeT
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi guys,

@AlwaysSortaCurious,

You can create a copy of your 1Password data folder to make a backup copy but there isn't a good system for restoring it because the 1Password.com servers will always have the latest data. What that means is that as soon as you restore to this copy, 1Password server will update it for you. That's why it is difficult to have backups with 1Password.com service at the moment, we're handling all of this on the backend for you as backups aren't needed on the local side.

However, we do want to offer you a way to export/archive your database in the near future.

@ianbogue,

In addition to what Brenty said, you can also check the progress on the beta updates via our changelog here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6#beta

• ianbogue
    ianbogue
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Cool! Thanks!
    @brenty I'm now using the beta and it seems great!

• @ianbogue: I'm glad you're enjoying the beta! Now is really a great time to jump in. The latest beta has a ton of cool new stuff and even I was surprised to see some of the changes when I installed the first 6.8 update. Have fun and if you run into any issues, we're here for you. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.