Run 1Password beta on Raspbian Jessie 4.9?

Options

Is 1Password beta available as a local install to any Linux based OS such as Raspbian Jesse 4.9? Chromium runs on Raspbian and I'm given the impression this beta should work, however the extension states either 'NOT COMPATIBLE' or requires local install of the program. Many thanks for your help!

1Password Version: Linux Beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Raspbian Jessie 4.9
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benbot79: What version of Chromium do you have installed?

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• benbot79
    benbot79
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

It's the one that is bundled with the latest version of Raspbian :

Chromium Version 56.0.2924.84 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 8.0

I also checked whether an update was available and it states this is the newest.

sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade chromium-browser
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    chromium-browser is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

• dteare
    Options

Thank you for the details, @benbot79. We have our minimum version of Chrome set to version 58, so that explains why Chromium is not very happy.

My Linux Fu is pretty limited so I'm going to sit here and hope that @beyer jumps in and shows us the way – if apt-get doesn't work my next step is always Google. Hopefully Beyer can save us from needing to dig too deeply there :)

• mkasu
    mkasu
    Community Member
    Options

Raspbian 8 is basically an arm port of Debian 8, which usually relies on relatively old versions to be more stable. Chromium 56 might be the newest one available for Raspbian, actually. Even the i386/amd64 version of Debian 8 only has version 57.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hey @benbot79,

Happy Thursday my friend!

@mkasu is absolutely right, it sounds like your distro hasn't pushed a newer version of Chromium to their repositories. To get a newer version of Chromium you'll need to either grab a build from a different repository or download it directly.

I hope this helps, please do let me know if I need to be more specific.

P.S. Thanks for helping out @mkasu <3

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• mkasu
    mkasu
    Community Member
    Options

You’re welcome @beyer <3.

Another comment on this, I think the links you provided are for amd64 architecture. Raspberry uses on armv7 (RPi 2)/armv8 (RPi 3). I don’t think Google provides any packages for that, though.

Last option would be building the Chromium sources yourself, but that might take ages on a Raspberry :dizzy:

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017
    Options

@mkasu: Dang it, you're right! I've edited my answer slightly.

To be honest, I'm trying to get some work done in-between sessions at a conference that some of us are attending. Sounds like building from source is going to be the "best route". There are some 3rd parties that have already done the legwork on this, but we can't endorse them. Downloading and using unsigned browsers (especially from sources that don't have community trust) can be extremely risky, and personally, I wouldn't do it.

I hope you have a pleasant rest of your week.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• benbot79
    benbot79
    Community Member
    Options

I tried a bit to get a newer Chromium compiled but being a Linux novice I was unable to do so.
    However, since some time has gone by the new Rasbian Stretch OS has an updated Chromium and I'm happy to say the 1Password extension is installed and working! Thanks for everyone's assistance along the way.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great news! I'm delighted to hear you're up and running!

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.