Requires Apple Watch passcode - but passcode setting is managed by my company

ErtjeTheFreeze
ErtjeTheFreeze
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Apple Watch

Just installed 1Password on my Apple Watch, enabled Apple Watch and added some items from iPhone to the Apple Watch.
When I open 1Password on my Apple Watch, it displays "Requires Apple Watch passcode".
The instructions of 1Password tell me just to set one. That's easier said than done!
My device is partially managed by my company, especially the security settings. These policies disable me to use (simple) numeric codes and enforces me to use complex Passcodes. So in the Apple Watch settings, "use simple code" is off, "unlock by iPhone" is on and both settings are greyed out.
This means that there is no way I can meet the 1Password "Requires Apple Watch passcode".
Is this an oversight of the developers?
Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 6.9
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: 11.0.1
WatchOS: 4.0
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• @ErtjeTheFreeze,

Thanks for writing in. This isn't an oversight by the developers. The intent is for 1Password on Apple Watch to require that the watch has its passcode set in order for any items to be synchronized over to the watch.

Rudy

• ErtjeTheFreeze
    ErtjeTheFreeze
    Community Member

Hi Rudy,
    That may be the case, but that doesn't solve my problem.
    I'm unable to use my (payed) 1Password on my Apple Watch....
    Is there a solution (going to be created) for this? It's not quite clear to me, why a passcode needs to be set on the Watch.
    If my Watch has been of my wrist, unlocking is only possible when unlocking my iPhone.
    With kind regards,
    Rene de Vries

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@ErtjeTheFreeze: The passcode encrypts the data. 1Password cannot run cryptographic operations on your watch. This is handled by iOS, and the only way anything is secured on your watch is with a device passcode. The watch may appear "locked" when you remove it, but without a passcode the data is essentially "in the clear" and there for anyone who wants to take it.

Absent a way to protect the data, we wouldn't have an Apple Watch app at all, so this is a requirement to use it. It's possible that in the future other possibilities might emerge with regard to protecting data on the watch, but otherwise this isn't something we will be changing.

• ErtjeTheFreeze
    ErtjeTheFreeze
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Thanks for your explanation. Maybe I can take this up with the responsible person in our company.
    One additional question to be able to emphasize this issue internally: do I understand it correctly that if there would be a passcode, all data would be automatically encrypted on my Apple Watch for all applications and their data. And therefore 1Password would work without any problems?
    Thanks in advance for your effort.

With kind regards,
    Rene de Vries

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ErtjeTheFreeze: Correct. I'll try to lay this out more clearly, in case it helps you communicate it to the responsible party, but we also have a great article in our knowledgebase:

About 1Password security on Apple Watch

Data in 1Password for Apple Watch is encrypted/decrypted by iOS/watchOS. 1Password for Apple Watch cannot decrypt data on its own (or reasonably use your Master Password, on such a small screen) on the device, and even if it could that would drain your battery quickly. Because of this, a passcode is needed so that iOS/watchOS can use that to secure your data (and it's also feasible then to enter it on the watch). And, perhaps even more importantly, without a passcode set, any data on the watch is not secure and could be accessed by someone who steals/finds your watch. So 1Password does not function on Apple Watch at all if it is not secured with a passcode. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.