1PW web helper stopped working on ios

cappy
cappy
Community Member

While trying to login to this website, http://www.siliconvalley-codecamp.com/ (I have a registered account here and an login in 1PW for this site)

I found out that 1PW web help stopped working in Safari.
I then tried logging into my account at the agilebits forum, 1PW would not recognize that site either.

I'm still on iOS 10- not going anywhere near iOS 11, for several months

1Password Version: Tbd
Extension Version: Tbd
OS Version: 10.3.3
Sync Type: Membership

Comments

• Hi @cappy,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Could you please check and make sure you're using the latest version of 1Password?

1Password 6 for iOS - iTunes App Store

Then please see this guide:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Please let us know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

How do I update the extension for each browser or check to see the extension version or if an update is available?

• There is no separate extension to install/update on iOS like there is on Mac. The 1Password for iOS app is the extension. As such if you’re keeping 1Password for iOS up to date through the App Store you inherently have the latest version of the extension as well.

Ben

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

I am, but how do I resolve this issue? 1PW isn't recognising URLs, I have to manually paste my login & pw into every web pages

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

1PW isn't recognising URLs

@cappy: What do you mean? The only thing I can think of with the information you provided is that you're trying to use a login with this insecure URL:

http://www.siliconvalley-codecamp.com/

to fill at this secure URL:

https://www.siliconvalley-codecamp.com

Which the first is redirecting to. Have you tried using the correct URL? There is no website at the first one.

Also, have you updated 1Password from the App Store? Please let us know which version you're using, since you omitted that information from your previous posts. Thanks in advance!

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

It's not just one URL, it's all urls.
    Of course o have the latest version of 1PW, but I don't remember where the version number is

• @cappy Could you please explain what you mean when you say “1PW isn’t recognizing URLs”? I don’t know what you mean by that. What are you trying to do (what are the exact steps you take), what do you expect to happen, and what happens instead?

Ben

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

1PW does t automatically recognixe the URL I'm on and paste in the login info. I have to manually search 1PW for the website, then copy and past my login and pw, so that I can log in.
    This isn't happening on only one website, it's all websites. 1PWused to,work for me on iOS, this is a recent change

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@cappy: To be clear, 1Password is not supposed to automatically fill on a webpage just because you went to a website in your browser; rather, it fills only when (and what) you tell it to.

Unfortunately without some more detail it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action. The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you using the built-in 1Browser in 1Password for iOS, Safari, another browser or app? et me know step by step what you're trying to do and I'm sure I can help! :)

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Sorry for the misinformation.

When I go to a website, and click on the 1PW icon at the top of the browser, 1PW "used to" find that website in
    1PW, then paste the login parameters into the webpage.

This is how it works on macOS, and it used to do that on iOS too.
    As of lately on iOS, I have to manually type in the name of the website in 1 PW's search box, before that website's login info is found. I then need to manually copy the login and PW from 1PW into the webpage, so that I can login. That is two separate copy and paste operations. I'm using both Safari and Chrome on iOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

When I go to a website, and click on the 1PW icon at the top of the browser, 1PW "used to" find that website in 1PW, then paste the login parameters into the webpage. This is how it works on macOS, and it used to do that on iOS too.

@cappy: That was never possible on iOS. Not long ago, there was no way for 1Password to fill in browsers or apps on iOS. In iOS 8, Apple introduced iOS extensions, so, since then, 1Password has been able to fill when you invoke it from the [ ↑ ] Share menu, but it isn't something we can build into other apps ourselves. Their developers will need to add support for it. Otherwise it is necessary to copy and paste.

We have a website devoted to the 1Password extension for developers, so be sure to let them know you'd like them to add support for it and point them in our direction. We're always happy to help them join the ranks of apps that support the 1Password iOS extension.

As of lately on iOS, I have to manually type in the name of the website in 1 PW's search box, before that website's login info is found. I then need to manually copy the login and PW from 1PW into the webpage, so that I can login. That is two separate copy and paste operations. I'm using both Safari and Chrome on iOS.

Safari (and Chrome) supports iOS extensions, so 1Password works there, but it is not possible to add a 1Password icon to the browser's toolbar; it lives in the [ ↑ ] Share menu like any other iOS extension. So you will need do the following to fill a saved login in Safari:

1. Go to the website, say amazon.com
    2. Tap the [ ↑ ] Share menu
    3. Select 1Password, which will display any logins matching the current URL
    4. Tap the login you want to fill, which dismisses the extension so 1Password can try to fill it on that page

It sounds like where you're getting hung up is that you're trying to fill logins from 1Password when you have not even loaded a webpage yet. This is not possible, as Apple does not allow extensions to open webpages. Also, when the current webpage is blank — no address — 1Password won't have anything to offer to you to fill there.

Certainly in some cases 1Password will not be able to fill, such as incompatible websites and apps. In those cases you will have to copy and paste. But often, if you navigate to a login page and then open 1Password, you can use it to fill there. I hope this helps!

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

Yes, that [up arrow] is what I'm referring to. I didn't know how to call it.
    There is a1pw icon under that menu.

The website URL is NOT empty. I cannot get 1 PW to recognize ANY url for websites that I have created logins for in 1 PW, on iOS.
    1PW used to paste my login credentials but no longer does.

sounds like where you're getting hung up is that you're trying to fill logins from 1Password when you have not even >>loaded a webpage yet

This is NOT correct. I've gone to the login page for many sites, went to the 1PW icon und r the up arrow menu, pulled up 1PW,it will not recognize esbites that I have logged into in the past, with 1PW's auto login . I need to type in the URL into the 1PW search box, when my login entry is found, I have to copy the login & PW from 1PW and paste it into the website login page, using two separate copy and paste operations. It's a real pain.

• Let me see if I'm understanding correctly.

1. Open Safari
    2. Navigate to the login page for a Login item you have stored in 1Password (note: the website field on the Login item in 1Password must match the website you're visiting)
    3. Tap the Share icon in Safari
    4. Select 1Password
    5. Tap the Login item you want to fill

If this does not work, please let me know which step you are having trouble with. If you are having trouble with step 5 because the Login item is not listed please double check that the website field for the Login item matches the URL in the address bar in Safari. If that is not the difficulty, please elaborate on what exactly the difficulty is. The more details or specific examples you can provide the better we'll be able to assist you.

Thanks.

Ben

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

This is odd, I'm able to login to discussions.agilebits.com using 1 pw, and without having edited the login entry,
    In 1PW

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cappy: I suspect it's simply a matter of having a matching URL (the domain name, at least) between the login item and the website. It isn't uncommon for companies to use a different domain for different services, but use the same login credentials. For example, steampowered.com and steamcommunity.com — I can't use the same 1Password login there unless I have both of those URLs saved for it. Also, check insecure (http://) versus secure (https://), as 1Password will not offer to fill login credentials saved for a secure site on an insecure page.

This discussion has been closed.