Can User Admins delete users? Getting an error "operation not permitted"

I am using the 1Password.com web interface.

My 1Password account is in a group called "User Admin" with the following permissions:

• Create Vaults
  • View Admin Console
  • Recover Accounts
  • Invite & Remove People

I am able to access the "Delete User" command when a member is selected, but after typing their name to confirm, I get this error:

"Failed to delete user. Operation is not permitted."

The user in question is named "Jacob Smith" and it asks me to type "Jacob" to confirm the deletion; we have a "Jacob Jones" in our organization too. Could that be the problem? (ps those names are fake but you get the idea)

Thanks - Emily

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hrmm... I think this is a bug on our end.

It seems that you don't have the Suspend People permission, and since the person you're trying to delete isn't currently suspended it's trying to suspend them first, and this fails due to lacking that permission.

So you'll want the User Admin group to gain the Suspend People permission in order to do what you need. Meanwhile I'm going to file an issue so that we can make sure that users don't get into this position in the first place.

Rick

• emilysmm
    emilysmm
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Thank you for the prompt reply, it is confusing! I'll get the "Suspend People" permission in the meantime.

ETA: adding that permission worked

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @emilysmm! I'm glad that did the trick. We'll get this fixed up in a future update. Thanks for mentioning it.

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Have a great rest of your week. :)

This discussion has been closed.