Chrome sign in redirected to bogus sign in to get my Google password, 1Password log in safe?

Options
rharris59
rharris59
Community Member

I changed by Google password and when I went to another computer was asked to sign into a fake Chrome sign in (none of the hyerlinks worked - all redirected me to the fake sign in page). Not sure how long I had this, does this mean they could track and compromise my Master 1Password log in and other logins? I use the 1Password extension for Chrome. Thank you.

Don't know how to add a screenshot but URL was chrome://chrome-signin/?access_point=6&reason=0

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome log in

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @rharris59! First off, don't panic. :)

The URL you gave isn't "fake," it's part of the Chrome browser itself. Anything that begins with chrome:// is a call to one of a few user-adjustable portions of the internals of the browser itself. You can try it right now: if you go to chrome://settings, you'll be directed to the same settings page for Chrome that you would reach by going through clicking the icons in Chrome's toolbar. What you were being asked to do at that particular URL is to sign into Chrome itself. It was generated by the browser and never left your device, so no one is spying on you or tracking your 1Password use or anything else.

That said, if you feel you have been compromised, then yes, you should change your Master Password as a precaution. But it's good to recognize what might actually be spyware or a compromised website, and what is not. In this case, if what you described is all the unusual and unrecognized behavior you observed, I think you're OK. :)

• rharris59
    rharris59
    Community Member
    Options

Lars,
    First, thanks for the quick response!

I did a reset on my chrome settings & issue seems fixed; when I put in the URL chrome://chrome-signin/?access_point=6&reason=0 now it acts "normal". Before, at that URL, clicking on the "forgot password" hyperlink, or even trying to close the browser would pop up another login page. I'm guessing that one of my extensions got hacked?

Anyway, I'll change my 1Password password.

Thanks again, 1Password has been a real timesaver and I want to keep using it - but it is "the keys to the castle" - just trying to be safe.

Rich

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rharris59 -- since you were the only one there, only you can say what went on and even more importantly, only you can say what your relative level of comfort or unease is with things as they stand.

If changing your Master Password seems prudent to you, then follow these instructions and you should be all set. Cheers, and stay safe out there! :)

This discussion has been closed.