Feature Request - new CATEGORIES

Options
ericjarvies
ericjarvies
Community Member

Hello,

For starters, thank you for your development efforts! 1Password is one -of only a few staple apps- that I encourage other people to use. When I install a fresh operating system, the very first apps that I install are;
1. Dropbox
2. 1Password
3. LittleSnitch
In that order. When I say 'Dropbox' I mean any publicly available cloud storage where your data is accessible via a (1.) web browser and/or a (2.) desktop app, this way I am always able to access my IDs, serial numbers, credentials, financial accounts, and so on. As such, I only ever need to remember my cloud storage password and my 1Password master password (e.g.- two master passwords).

That being said, here is my Feature Request;

-New Categories & corresponding forms/form fields

Seeds, hashes, public keys, private keys, etc. It would be nice if 1Password could easily (i.e.- correctly) handle the various encryption (PGP, SSL, etc.) types, and the various website-based and desktop app blockchain types. The creation of Wallets would be ideal, wherein one can correctly store wallet data (for Btc, Nxt, Eth, etc.) and account data within, and it would be ideal if 1Password would read the blockchains and display the amounts contained on each account. Likewise, not only supporting public keys, private keys, seeds, passphrases, and passwords, but also having authentication (e.g.- Google Authenticator) built into 1Password, so one doesn't need to use his/her tablet/phone to find/view the 6 digit authentication numbers, but rather, 1Password conveniently populates that field too with said dynamic data. It should also support JSON (private keys, etc.). Also, 1Password should support Smart Contracts, both the code (perhaps as gists?) and its state/status as per the blockchain. Two-form authentication is important, and wallets/accounts/blockchains are important, and are only going to increase in popularity and usage, so 1Password might as well pave the way in terms of facilitating ease of use and first to market, right?

In supporting wallets, accounts, keys, smart contracts, and tokens, 1Password would immediately gain popularity amongst the digital currencies/blockchains crowd, and of course, it would help all existing 1Password users to more easily learn and use these new forms of access/credentials.

Thank you,

Eric

1Password Version: 6.8.2 (682003)
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: OS X 10.13
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ericjarvies - Thanks so much for your support and kind words about 1Password! We're glad to have a place on your "most crucial apps" list. Additionally, thanks also for being passionate enough about improving 1Password to take the time out of your own busy day to share these thoughts with us. You may not know it, but a fair amount of what you see in 1Password today came at least in part from suggestions from the user community. We feel very lucky to have such an engaged and vocal user community, and I wanted to take a minute to thank you for being part of that! :)

On to your actual request(s)! You're far (far, FAR!) from the only person who's come to us with a request for custom categories. Unfortunately, while we've no doubt that each person requesting this or that particular category be added to 1Password would benefit from its inclusion, it's not always clear how many other people would make use of any particular category. I've had requests for everything from locker combination categories to classic car registrations, and firearm licenses. You get the idea: if we said yes to all of these, 1Password's "new item" dialog would soon be overrun with so many categories, many of them unneeded by a lot of users, that we'd suffer from feature-bloat (or simply too many options). That said, cryptocurrencies are something we're definitely keeping an eye on, and we may have some other creative solutions for customizable categories coming in future releases of 1Password. Right now, 1Password Teams subscribers to the Pro plan already have custom categories available in beta -- and although such decisions aren't in my purview around here, i'd be surprised if something like that didn't eventually make its way out into the larger 1Password community. Long story short on that one: stay tuned.

Regarding TOTP (2FA) in 1Password, I have some good news for you: your existing 1Password app(s) can already perform this task, and we've got a great instructional video showing you how to get that set up for any sites where you have 2FA enabled.

Thanks once again for your thoughtful suggestions, and for being a 1Password supporter. Let us know if you have any further questions or ideas.

• ericjarvies
    ericjarvies
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars

Salutations.

I agree with you on all points regarding categories, and I'd prefer not having any of them, but rather -and only- having the respective form fields that are configured like such (categories), so new entries can easily be formatted to the correct and intended use/purpose.

Regarding 2FA; I had seen that selection many times before, but did not make the association with 2FA (shrug). So, thank you for bringing that to my attention, tis much appreciated!

Eric

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ericjarvies -- You're quite welcome. Have a great weekend and let us know if we can help with anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.