To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I use VPN to connect to the internet. Every time I login, 1Password sees this as a new device

speysider
speysider
Community Member

I use VPN, so 1Password sees every login as coming from a new device, spawning unwanted and unnecessary e-mails to that effect. Is there a fix? Many of the "new " devices are just my same old iMac, with the same browser (Firefox), IP address, etc., identified.

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I use VPN to connect to the internet. Every time I login, 1Password sees this as a new device

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@speysider: The only "fix" is to use a (relatively) static address for your VPN connection (many services offer a "private" or "personal" VPN server), or to not connect through the VPN. 1Password.com has no way of telling the difference between you traveling to, say, Switzerland and connecting from an ISP there, or you being wherever-else and connecting through a VPN in Switzerland: the connection is still coming from Switzerland (as an example). That said, if you're clearing your browser's data, that will wipe out the authorization stored there from previous sessions regardless of your connection status; so in that case you'd need to stop doing that for 1Password to recognize it as "same old iMac, with the same browser (Firefox), IP address, etc., identified." Hope this helps! :)

ref: BHY-41481-439

• speysider
    speysider
    Community Member

Many of these spurious devices have the same IP address, though!!!

• speysider
    speysider
    Community Member

Thanks, though! I clear my data regularly, so that must be the problem. Still a bit surprised this happens even in one session, one day without logging off.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah yep, that's it then. The only way for any website to "remember" you is by storing some information locally that can be used on subsequent sessions to tell the server this is the same device/browser connecting. Just no way around that. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.