To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I need access to my passwords!

Options

The Apple laptop I had 1password 4 installed on crashed. I am trying to access my passwords from another device - an iPad or another Mac. I have a liscense, but not a secret key. How do I access the app or set up 1password? I clicked the link to add the liscense in the email but nothing happened. Please help!

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: 4
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have a liscense, not a secret key. How do I access the app or set up 1password on a new device?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @alison_nasmith :)
    Sorry for the troubles. Devices crashes always sucks when it happens. I need to ask, though, do you sync your 1Password data with other devices? Perhaps via iCloud or Dropbox? Do you normally access 1Password from any other device other than the laptop that crashed? Or do you, perhaps, have any backups of that laptop anywhere? Say from Time Machine or something of the sort? If the answer is yes to any of those questions, let me know and I can help you.

Cheers. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alison_nasmith: Indeed, recover restore, you won't have a 1Password.com account to sign in to and access your data unless you signed up for a 1Password membership. No matter what, we can't recover your data, as we never have access to it. If you don't have it stored anywhere else, you will need to start over. There just isn't any way around that. But if you'll let us know what you have to work with, we'll be happy to help walk you through things.

Did you backup your 1Password data at some point?

https://support.1password.com/backups/?ios#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-local-vaults

Did you copy it to other devices, or sync it somewhere?

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Let me know and we'll go from there.

• alison_nasmith
    alison_nasmith
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much! I'm gutted, because all my passwords for everything are stored there. No, I've never synced on other devices, as far as I know. I have a backup from 10 months ago or so on a Time Machine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alison_nasmith: I'm sorry to hear that, but that's better than nothing. If you have a full backup that includes 1Password's support folders, you should be able to get it from there. You'll find it in the following locations, depending on the version you were using:

Mac App Store: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

AgileBits Store: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

Either of these will have a "Backups" folder with periodic backups of your data from when you were using the app. I would just grab the whole folder and then find the most recent one with data. Let me know once you have that and I can give you specific instructions on how to setup 1Password and restore from the backup!

This discussion has been closed.