To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't find Secret Key

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Trial Expired Message, retrieved license but its not working.

Comments

• kaaren69
    kaaren69
    Community Member
    Options

I have been locked out of my 1password trial account and it is asking me for a secret key to activate the account. I never had a secret key. please help ASAP as my Apple ID password is stored in 1password

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi @kaaren69 -- sorry to hear you're having trouble accessing your 1Password data!

However, you should still be able to access your data even after the 30 day trial period, presuming you remember your Master Password and have your Secret Key. If you entered your sign-in details into a 1Password app for Mac, Windows, iOS or Android, you can retrieve them (including the Secret Key) there. If you've been using only the web interface, then at least one of your browsers should still have the Secret Key already saved in persistent memory.

Can I ask: how have you been accessing 1Password prior to this? Via the web only, or using a native 1Password application?

• kaaren69
    kaaren69
    Community Member
    Options

I don’t have
    A secret key I never set one up

• kaaren69
    kaaren69
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve been using the iOS app

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kaaren69: If you have a 1Password.com account, you have a Secret Key. (Un)fortunately AgileBits doesn't ever have either your Secret Key or Master Password, as that wouldn't be very secure at all. The Master Password is chosen by you, and the Secret Key is generated locally on your device when you signed up for the account. Neither is ever transmitted.

We don't have access to your data can't recover either of these for you, so I hope you're able to find your Emergency Kit, or have another authorized device where you can view your Secret Key. Otherwise it will not be possible to login to your 1Password Account:

https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

Do you have another device (or browser) where you've been using 1Password?

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• kaaren69
    kaaren69
    Community Member
    Options

OK I have given up and am trying to sign up again - starting over - but now, of course, the system says an account already exists with my email address - how should i proceed?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@kaaren69 -- I've sent out an email to you at the email you used to register here at the forum; please check your spam or bulk email folder if you don't see it in your inbox. Let's continue the conversation there, if you don't mind. :)

ref: MII-52789-587

• annatheka
    annatheka
    Community Member
    Options

I have the exact same problem as Kaaren69. I have run out of time on my free trial. I downloaded the app, never used it, life got in the way, etc...now i want to set it up and I can't even sign in to the website because I do not have nor have I ever had a secret key. I am using the mobile app on Android.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @annatheka! Let me make sure I understand you: are you actually using or have you ever used 1Password? If not, and if Android is the only place you're using 1Password, then you will need to sign up for a 1password.com account. This will involve creating a Master Password and receiving a Secret Key.

If you're opening 1Password for Android now and all you see is the lock screen to enter your Master Password, then you have already created (or synced) a vault previously. If that's the case, you should try to see if you can remember your Master Password, because if not, you'll need to reset 1Password back to new-user status and begin again. Let us know what the situation is, and we'll go from there.

This discussion has been closed.