General question regarding wifi security

Options
ronen
ronen
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Lounge

Hi.
As a well pro computing team , I'd like your opinion regarding my personal home wifi security .
I have a home wifi and I'm using several computers - using Apple's Airport extreme.
My new employer gave me a computer to work from home , This computer need my personal home wifi Password to connect the employer's server .
Question :
"Giving" my wifi password in this situation is safe ?
I don't mind about data in the employer computer , I am worry about my other computer and cloud data using the same wifi network .
PS: I use several apple devices + cloud and lots of personal data ...
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ronen - thanks for the question, but we're really not the right place to be directing such a question, as we have no insight into nor ability to troubleshoot your personal home wi-fi setup.

In general, I'd say that if your employer expects you to work from home using one of their computers, you have little choice but to enter your wi-fi password into it, in order to be able to access the internet. If your AirPort Extreme is the main router in your setup, then maybe your best possibility would be to activate the Guest Network feature on it, and connect to that from your "work" computer. That would keep you from having to enter your actual home network password into your work computer, and also limits the network resources any device connected to that Guest network can access. Good luck!

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    That’s all I needed to know
    All the best.
    Ronen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ronen - you're quite welcome! Have a great weekend. :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2017
    Options

I’d second Lars’ suggestion of using the guest network to keep work and home separated. :) You’ll of course want to enable a password for the guest SSID if you do that.

Ben

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Sure thing. Have a good weekend. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.